Spectrum: Free Showtime & EPIX(except for Tivo users)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bhoch99, Mar 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bhoch99

bhoch99 Member

Jan 21, 2003

Advertisements

So I read that all Spectrum customers were supposed to get free Showtime & EPIX due to COVID 19. Both of my Tivos are unable to receive the channels. I called Spectrum, they said I am unable to get the free channels because I am a CableCARD customer. Doesn't this violate FCC rules?

2. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Unsure of the answer to your question, but if you have the Spectrum app they will show up there. Also, I downloaded Showtime Anywhere to my Roku and authenticated using Spectrum.

Obviously if you don't have another device, this does you no good, but figured I'd throw this out there since I went through it yesterday. Good luck.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you are running a TiVo on Spectrum, prepare to be continually disappointed.

4. hizhonor

hizhonor Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Ferguson, MO
    That’s not the case in the Spectrum St. Louis market. I'm picking up both Showtime and EPIX on my Cablecard TiVo without a problem.

Steve

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

When my cable company has "free" channel weekends they just stop encryption. Right now I get Showtime, TMC and Flix until mid-April and HDNET Movies until 3/31. I could scan my TV and get the clear QAM channels. Also, they are not copy protected.

6. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Just Showtime or all the Showtime channels? I get Showtime anyway so wouldn't be able to tell. How long do the free channels last? Long enough to stop paying for Showtime?

EDIT - I see now just through April 19. I am getting Epix-E and Epix-W on cablecard. Probably just depends if it's Digital Switched Video or not in your neighborhood. Their tuning adapters never work.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  7. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Just a month at this point.

8. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

Dec 18, 2012
    El Paso, TX
    I already have Showtime as part of my bundle, so can't speak to that, but as far as EPIX, which I do not pay for, it does tune fine on my Bolt. Maybe try rebooting your TA and/or TiVo and see if they come in.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No offense meant, but you do have those channels checked in your Channel List? When I tune to HBO I get a "Not Authorized" error and the channel has a signal strength % and SNR.

10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    For some wierd reason I am getting WE on my Xfinity lineup. I dont know if is corona related or just a lineup change (no notice from xfinity nor Tivo). Its pretty much the Law and Order channel. It was not part of Digital select nor Digital Preferred. I think you had to get the "all channels" package to get it. At least here in Southern CT.

11. bhoch99

bhoch99 Member

Jan 21, 2003
    To answer questions:

1. I have rebooted both Tivo & Tuning Adapter, no changes, still no Showtime or EPIX
    2. I do not have internet service through Spectrum, thus using Spectrum apps, not an option
    3. I do not typically stream TV through devices (that's why I have a Tivo!), so other apps, not an option.
    3. The CSR specifically said that it simply isn't available unless you have a Spectrum cable box. This coincides with Spectrum.net which says you must have a Spectrum "receiver" & then links to a page explaining what that is.
    4. The CSR also stated that free Showtime & EPIX is not available with a DTA (ie, low end Cable Box)
    5. Yes, I have SDV & Tuning adapter (a subject for another thread for another day)
    6. I made the channels available in my Channel Settings in Tivo settings

CSR did provide a $10 credit but I still don't get it. Tivo Cablecard customers can subscribe to any premium channel available, the technical ability is there to do it. It strikes me as simply laziness on Spectrum's part (which is not surprising) to exempt Cablecard customers. I called the general support # and not the Cablecard specific support #, I wonder if I would have better luck there. But my original question is still out there; is it a FCC violation of Cablecard rules to offer a free service to some Cable TV customers but not make it available to customers who are actually using Cablecards? The fact that some posters on this thread are able to see the channels makes me think its simply a matter of finding the right tech at the headend. I'm located in NH, so geography maybe plays a role?

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you have a problem, do you call a local or national number? If I have a problem, there's a specific number for my headend. Even their website asks you to select a headend since there are different lineups for each of the three serviced by my office. Plus there are three offices in my region. All we share is the ISP. So yes, geography plays a role.

13. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    I have Spectrum in Central Florida, I subscribe to Epix, but not Showtime. I am able to see Showtime channels. Thanks for letter me know!

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Epix must be doing a full court press right now. Youtube TV subs also just got a month free as well.

BTW, Perpetual Grace is the most binge-worthy thing on Epix IMO. Excellent television.

chiguy50 likes this.
  15. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Verizon FiOS will have free Showtime and Epix April 1 to 30.

16. EdwPowers

EdwPowers Member TCF Club

Apr 14, 2002
    Merritt...
    The article that I read said that Spectrum was only making on-demand free. I believe that is true for my son but he has Xfinity. I do now get three Epix channels on Spectrum with my Roamio but it does require a TA.

Maybe some areas did only make on-demand free and that would preclude TiVos from getting it.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just checked my cable company. Virtually everything is "free" until 4/30. I use a cable card. All they do is drop encryption and the CCI byte is 0x0 also. I don't get On-Demand even though my cable company supports TiVo.

18. hizhonor

hizhonor Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Ferguson, MO
    All Showtime channels and both EPIX for me.

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I use to have a package that included Epix. I never really watched it but I setup the Epix app on my TiVo at some point just to see what it had. A few months back Spectrum removed Epix from my package, and I no longer get the channels, but my account login to the app still works. (even before this free weekend) It's like I was grandfathered in, or Spectrum forgot to tell them I'm no longer a subscriber.

Maybe with this free trial thing you guys will be able to setup accounts that continue to work after it ends as well? Worth a try.

20. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Do you have a tuning adapter? Can you watch other premium channels? Without the adapter... you won't be watching any premium channels.