1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spectrum Failed so I'm installing Bolt Myself

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wannaB, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Aug 3, 2018 #1 of 46
    wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    After Spectrum installer failed to get my new bolt working I had him just leave everything with me so I could try this weekend. I have a 1TB Bolt and two minis but they are still in their boxes. I'm no high tech redneck but I can follow instructions. Is there a good resourse for setting everything up?

Quick version of what happened: First M-Stream card did a fimware update but he never did get any channels to work and the tivo never did acknowledge the tuning adapter. So he got another card and tuning adapter, this card never did act right and tivo still didn't acknowledge the tuning adapter. He installed a third card and it did a firmware update but when he called customer service they asked asked for the data number and we could not find it. At this point the guy had spent 6 hours here and was lost on what to do, his boss wanted me to use their equipment and said my tivo must not be compatible. I told them to just leave it and let me try this weekend.

2. Aug 3, 2018 #2 of 46
  3. Aug 3, 2018 #3 of 46
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you are using a Motorola M-Card, these screens may help:
    CCPair.JPG
    cc-1.JPG cc-2.JPG
    CCStatus.JPG

Good luck.

4. Aug 3, 2018 #4 of 46
    wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
  5. Aug 3, 2018 #5 of 46
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Two not so good reasons. Bad cable card. Bad TiVo.

The Data field is sort of a checksum of your hardware. If you change the hard drive that number will change. Most cable feeds use that number when pairing a lineup with premium channels. My feed asks for the number, but my HBO, etc., are not protected. Once your card receives its channel listings and VCT it will work. Things like OOB messages are part of the card working "right", like having "VAL: V 0x0n" where n is the number of times your card has been paired.

6. Aug 3, 2018 #6 of 46
    Resist

Resist Active Member

Dec 21, 2003
    When they first started using cable cards in Tivo, the Series 3 OLED, I had to show the Charter tech how to do it. Back then they wouldn't let you do it. After I showed him, then they charged me $25. What a scam it was back then. Now you can install and setup the card yourself, this is so much better for cable users.

7. Aug 3, 2018 #7 of 46
    wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    ok I have card paired, confirmed with charter. My tivo still shows no tuning adapter after connecting to top USB.....

8. Aug 3, 2018 #8 of 46
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    What do you mean exactly by the TiVo showing no tuning adapter? What is the message? Does the TA have a solid light or is it blinking? The TA may not have been provisioned by Spectrum.

9. Aug 3, 2018 #9 of 46
    wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    TA has a blinking green and tivo shows "No Tuning Adapter"

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While usually I'd say that's a 100% indicator of a bad TA, doesn't the same display say cable card "Paired: NO"? So don't trust the Diagnostics. Trust the LED.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If the light is green rather than yellow, you DO NOT have a Motorola TA -- You have a Cisco (formerly Scientific Atlanta) TA. It should have the model STA1520 somewhere on it. You may have to power-cycle the TA to establish proper communication with the cable system -- don't bother with the button on the front. If and when the light settles to steady green, cycle the USB connector which will force the CableCARD to get the channel list.

If the light is blinking an 8-blink-pause sequence it means the TA has not been pushed a subscription by the cable system. Only the cable co can correct that.

Please provide your location. These type issues vary from region to region and you can get better help here if we know which one you are in. (Put the location in your profile and it will appear beside each of your posts.)

Have you talked to the Spectrum national CableCARD (and TA) help desk at: 866-532-2598 ? They generally know a lot more about these issues than local support.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do you have a Motorola CableCARD or Cisco/Scientific Atlanta CableCARD? Cisco ones do not have/use a Data ID ( your follow-up post on the TA seems to indicates you have a franchise that uses Cisco/SA equipment as well).

Scott

13. wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    I spent last night on the phone with a lady that really tried to help but in the end I still do not have video.

I have a Cisco Cablecard and a cisco TA, currently the tuning adapter is showing in the tivo setup screen. If I goto test channels under cablecard menu it says no channels available, if I go to test channels in the TA it does have the channels labeled and I can scroll thru them but still no video. If I put the Tivo on any channel I get "This Channel not authorized (V58)"

14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    The test channels does not work when a TA is attached, so don’t worry about that.

Is the TA still blinking? If so, is there a sequence, i.e., steady blinking or 8 blink and pause?

I take you do get some or most channels when the TA is not connected via the USB cable? You should be getting most of them if your cable card is indeed paired.

Please be ver specific in your responses. For example you said you talked to a lady. Was this a TiVo csr or your cable company?

15. wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    \
    Sorry, lady was with spectrum. My TA is no longer blinking and the tivo now acknowledges that it is connected. I've yet to see any video on my screen with or without the TA. Spectrum said it appears the card is paired with the tivo on there end. I'm starting to think my Tivo may actually be bad?

16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Could be the TiVo is bad. You’ve tried a whole variety of channels and they all give you the V-xx message? Have you cycled through all the tuners? Have you gone into diagnostics and looked at signal strength? Does your guide come up and look correct?

Edit: I presume someone got you to reboot the TiVo?

17. wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    We have rebooted after (almost) all setup changes. I have not cycled through all tuners, I will go do that now. I have looked at it and bounces from 87 to 90... mostly 87. But when I went to a screen that shows only signal strength for a channel it says no signal.

18. wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Guide looks good, tested a couple of apps and they work. Rebooted and checked all tuners and nothing.

19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Just ruling out the obvious, but do you have the coax connected to the Bolt? It's not enough to have it only connected to the TA. All the TA does is ask for channels to be put in the stream. It has no video output whatsoever.

20. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    What is the exact v-xx message, what does it say? Channel not available or channel not authorized?

Just a wild stab, but have you checked the video setting on the TiVo? Video resolutions? Set it to a single one , 1080i.