Spectrum ending support for Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jetspeedz, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:48 AM.

1. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014

Advertisements

Had a service call a few weeks back and the field supervisor told me they are not getting any new cable cards or tuners because Spectrum/Charter is likely going to end support for Tivo.

This is quite distressing b/c the only other option is ATT and they don't offer cable cards rendering all my Tivo equipment useless.

Anyone else heard of this?

2. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
  3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I never realized when they began support! :rolleyes:

Zephyr, NorthAlabama and samsauce29 like this.
  4. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Lol, to be fair their support in general is horrible, It's not isolated to TiVo trust me

5. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008

Advertisements

Just another reason to cut the cord.

6. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I prefer live tv and TiVo over streaming, but hey that's me

mrsean, UCLABB and NorthAlabama like this.
  7. wendlan

wendlan Member

Apr 21, 2002
    It's not just Spectrum, it's the same story for other cable companies as well, such as Suddenlink/Optimum/Altice. Others have reported a similar experience, as well.

If you have an existing Tivo/CableCard, it will likely keep working, so no immediate panic. But for pairing a card in a new Tivo or possibly getting the latest promotions - Tivo with Cablecard days are rapidly coming to an end. After 15 years with Tivo and not objecting to the cost of cable (i.e. not a cord cutter because of pricing), I moved to YouTubeTV for live TV on Roku for this reason. On the whole, it's actually an improvement.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020 at 9:31 AM
  8. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Never had a pairing issue ever, guess just got lucky.

I'm just fond of the remote and overall package it will be a shame to have to give that up

wendlan likes this.
  9. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Definitely agree. We've been running YouTube TV and Spectrum with TiVo in parallel for awhile now. It's very hard to give up the remote and the skip functions.

10. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    The skip mode alone is worth it's weight in gold

ncbill, blacknoi, mrsean and 2 others like this.
  11. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Not sure why companies such as Spectrum - rather than dropping support just don't add to the charge. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment complex where Spectrum is included in the charges so I'm going pay even if I don't use it. If, locally, Spectrum offered something better than 2 tuner no whole home then it might be OK if not great but.

12. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Their tuners are garbage, It's all about money at the end of the day

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    (bolded by me) Well, that is somewhat comforting. I would absolutely hate having my Tivos stop working, as I'm sure many others also would. I don't know what I would do except maybe use the recorder that the cable co has and lose all the money I spent on Tivos, but I do NOT like that alternative one bit. :(

14. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Agree, I think this would be the demise of TiVo as a company too

15. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    Not really. According to the (previously required) reports to the FCC, the majority do not have (major) issues with activation (although, as with all else, there are the special people). But social media amplifies the anecdotal failures (no one reports success, they only complain about failures, and then never forget the bad). In many cases the problem is, as often as not, poor signal which would cause issues with any STB, but with a OCUR/UDCP device your experience is only with the activation and one is not aware that the root cause has nothing to do with the CableCARD or the TiVo, or the activation process itself, but bad signal that prevents the activation from completing.

chiguy50 likes this.
  16. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Makes sense, I guess your level of technical knowledge matters too. Most people are not technical nor would they think to look at signal quality as an issue. The cable company technicians usually check the signal and if it's weak they can install an amplifier or in my case I measured it myself and put the TiVo on the -3.5db leg of the splitter vs -7db and never had an issue. Sometimes the splitter goes bad and people don't even bother to troubleshoot before they raise a stink. Not for everyone I guess. I'm a proponent of TiVo for many reasons.

FCC rollback is really a shame in my opinion. The bandwidth to go over IP strictly is just not there. With Covid alone and expansion of all the channels to support the overhead has already caused problems in newer neighborhoods with updated infrastructure already like mine by taxing the shared internet frequency and channels at 400mbps, can't imagine how shotty the 1Gbps they offer is but not ready for primetime for sure in this age

17. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    And we’re believe anything a Spectrum field technician says, because?...

UCLABB likes this.
  18. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    You don't have to believe anything. He has no reason to lie. Plus the information on the FCC rollback is readily available, did you see the second post of this thread!

19. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The tech could have any number of reasons to either lie or be mistaken. He probably doesn't like to work on TiVos because they are a pain to get working. And his management doesn't like TiVos because they reduce net revenue.

In fact cable company techs have been spreading untruths about their TiVo support for many years now. Obviously what he's telling you could be true, but he is not a reliable narrator.

UCLABB, wmcbrine and cwoody222 like this.
  20. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    That is a fair point but I have no reason to doubt his credibility as a supervisor who has direct line of communication with corporate. In addition to what the FCC has done it is more probably than not what he is saying is true.

TIVO_GUY_HERE likes this.