1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spectrum could not get my tuning adapters to work

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tivoknucklehead, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jun 4, 2018 #1 of 83
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    after having worked fine for many years, a week ago I lost all Switched digital video channels on BOTH of my tivos. they could not fix over phone so they sent out a tech. Turns out he was a contractor that had no experience with cable cards or tuning adapters. He checked my signal and said it was fine and left in 10 minutes with problem unresolved. Spectrum then suggested I swap out my cable cards and tuning adapters for new ones. I went to Spectrum office and got two new of each. Problem still not fixed after I installed them and had them pair to the tivos. Sent a better tech yesterday who first fixed a weak signal (completely missed by the first tech) , but still did not get me any switched digital channels even after spending 3 1/2 hours in my house and with numerous phone calls to his superiors, and installing yet another new tuning adapter. The tuning adapters were showing "offline" when being read by the Spectrum tech supervisor.
    My Spectrum cable box in my bedroom gets all the switched digital channels perfectly.
    My thoughts are the tuning adapters are fine since there is no way 5 tuning adapters all went bad, and I am having the problem on both of my tivos. All other channels are fine so the cablecards are not the issue. It has to be a back end issue. They said they will call me but I am very discouraged.

any Spectrum experts out there?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. Jun 4, 2018 #2 of 83
    Borack

Borack Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    I just went thru this ...look up the thread....The key here is ...Did a promotion for you just end..?? or change of some type of service..(adds or subtracts..)..If so you account got moved (within Spectrum) and someone has to make sure your numbers match (MAC address) on thier end....Use the chat feature, much faster....

3. Jun 4, 2018 #3 of 83
    tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I switched over to their silver plan, but that was months ago. I know the tech here yesterday told them the mac addresses for each TA, but maybe they still need to do something. I'll try to contact support

4. Jun 4, 2018 #4 of 83
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The current administration has removed the "know your rights" page from their site for some unknown reason, but you can still file a complaint with the FCC to help motivate Spectrum to find one of the few people in their organization who knows how to properly support cable cards.
    FCC Complaints

Bigg and aristoBrat like this.
  5. Jun 4, 2018 #5 of 83
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Is yours a former TWC system? If so try their national CableCARD/TA help desk at: 866-532-2598. Even if not former TWC system it would be interesting to see what they say.

6. Jun 4, 2018 #6 of 83
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The last few times my TA's suddenly stopped working, the culprits were:
    - TA had been removed from my account entirely
    - TA was disabled on the other end

So first, make sure the TA is indeed still listed on your account, and that it is "enabled".

If there have been any changes to your Moca network, also make sure that you have a POE filter on the input to your TA.

Or you could look at the bright side and use this as an excuse to cut the cord. I get everything on DirecTV NOW streaming that I used to get on cable for 1/3 of the cost. I still use my Tivos for OTA DVR only to supplement streaming. It's a little more tedious to use, but well worth saving thousands of dollars. Plus I got the satisfaction of telling Spectrum I was cancelling because of their ineptitude.

Good luck

7. Jun 4, 2018 #7 of 83
    tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I am former Bright house. Do you think it is worth a call? I'll call tonight, it can't possibly hurt to try

8. Jun 4, 2018 #8 of 83
    tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I just spent $1000 on a new Bolt a week ago, I'm not cutting the cord

9. Jun 4, 2018 #9 of 83
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I cut the cord and still use my Tivos as much as I ever did. I also have a lot of money in Tivo hardware that I don't want going to waste.

10. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

called the number, it is a good number for Spectrum Cable card and Tuning Adapter problems. after phone troubleshooting,
    their solution? sending a third tech to my house Tuesday night :(

11. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I've almost always had success when calling that number. I'd call back and see if you can get a different phone rep.

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    This is way off the OP’s topic, but people have different viewing habits. I watch very little broadcast tv except for some PBS. I do watch and record a ton of cable channels including premiums. My TiVo’s would be pretty much useless without cable. But that’s me.

13. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I have a third truck roll appointment tonight. I'll see how that goes before I call back
    super frustrated so far

14. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    third truck roll complete waste of time. they sent inexperienced tech with no clue about tuning adapters or cable cards. Called his office and told him to tell me "they are still working on it"

15. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Going back up to post #4, don’t be afraid to complain about this (online) to the FCC. I had a tuning adapter problem with Cox that got to the point they gave up and told me that it just wouldn’t work at my place. A few days after I filed an online FCC complaint, it all got magically fixed without having to send someone else out yet again.

fcfc2 likes this.
  16. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I'm not there yet, but won't hesitate if it comes to that

17. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    But you are, in fact, hesitating, once, twice, three times and are unlikely to get your situation resolved with any number of truck rolls. The tech who comes to your home has absolutely zero ability to fix or resolve such problems unless they happen to be someone who as a result of prior experience found a competent person in their system who knows how to get these things working and made a point of keeping their extension handy. The only reason the phone folks send a truck roll is to "punt" the problem to someone else and get you off their back for x days.
    By filing a complaint, you bring the issue to a higher level where they must find a resolution and the quicker the better. I know folks hesitate and hesitate for some reason, unfortunately, this has the effect of allowing the cable companies to continue to provide little effort to do what they are mandated to and support cable cards.

18. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

what I meant is I'm heading out of town until Sunday. if not fixed when I get home I will file a complaint

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I hope you are requesting credits for loss of service. You shouldn't have to pay anything for the Cable TV part of your bill until they get this fixed.

20. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    for sure I will

aristoBrat likes this.