Spectrum Business and tuning adapter activation

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by engineerboy, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sep 4, 2018 #1 of 13
    engineerboy

engineerboy Member

Dec 18, 2006
    So after a few years of being a cable cutter I'm back and I'm getting my Roamio with lifetime service up and running. My internet, phone, and TV are via Spectrum BUSINESS, and I've capitalized that for a reason. The on-site installer did not activate the tuning adapters, and I've spend the last few days trying to get someone at Spectrum to activate them.

The first line general tech support people aren't very familiar with tuning adapters, and I spent a lot of time (hours and hours) with them over this past Labor Day weekend, to no avail. They suggested I try back today (Tuesday) when the cablecard support team was staffed.

I did that and held for an hour, and the cablecard team finally answered, and I hoped we'd finally get it working, but no - they were *residential* cablecard support, and I needed *business* cablecard support. So they 'transferred' me, which essentially puts me back in the top of the general support queue, since the business cablecard team didn't answer.

The tech who answered had no idea where to send me, and I had to get back to work so dropped the call.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get through to Spectrum *Business* cablecard support in order to activate my tuning adapter?

2. Sep 4, 2018 #2 of 13
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Not sure. But maybe you can walk the tech through the process. First, add the TA to your account, then just Enable it. Next time the TA tries to connect, it should sync up with your account and get enabled and start working.

Spectrum has either disabled or removed my TA several times over the years, and these key words (add, enable) usually do the trick for me. But I’m residential, not business.

Hope that helps if you don’t get a better answer.

3. Sep 4, 2018 #3 of 13
    engineerboy

engineerboy Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Dave,

Yeah, one guy I talked to over the weekend was a former field tech, and he added the TA to my account and enabled it. We could see the 'hits' incrementing the counters in the TA menu in TiVo, but it is still doing a cycle of 8 blinks, indicating that it's not enabled. I'm going to keep trying once I have a few hours to sit there waiting again. :)

4. Sep 4, 2018 #4 of 13
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Moca can mess with a TA. If you have Moca enabled anywhere on your coax network, put a Moca POE filter on the input of the TA. If you already have such a filter on your point of entry and no other filter, you could relocate that one temporarily just to get your system working, then replace after you buy another.

I assume you have a Cisco TA?

5. Sep 5, 2018 #5 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    More key words: authorize and subscription.
    8-blinks-pause means your subscription/authorization for the TA has expired. The cable plant has to push a re-authorization signal to your TA every 4 weeks or so. You can see the date/time to the second when your subscription expires in the PowerKey section of TA diagnostics under "Sub Expires". -- if you can get into the TA diagnostics, that is. Apparently they are so worried you might steal some unauthorized TA functionality they designed a system that requires this stupid business -- in addition to other entries they have to make to provision your TA.

6. Sep 6, 2018 #6 of 13
    engineerboy

engineerboy Member

Dec 18, 2006

7. Sep 6, 2018 #7 of 13
    engineerboy

engineerboy Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Yes, Cisco TA.

8. Sep 6, 2018 #8 of 13
    engineerboy

engineerboy Member

Dec 18, 2006
    No MOCA.

9. bertp

bertp New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Did you ever get this issue resolved engineerboy? My cable installer showed up friendly this morning but left frustrated about 3 hours later with the TA still blinking the 8 cycle.

Another installer is said to be coming sometimes tomorrow; Does anyone have anything I could suggest that he might do in case he can't get it to work either?

Thanks in Advance!

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The only things a guy in the truck can do are 1) replace a tuning adapter, and B) call the CableCARD support guy to ask him to fix things for him. Some cable companies will pass you through to CableCARD support if you call in, others will only let their own field people talk to them.

In my experience, the TA usually isn't physically broken, but the firmware can become outdated, or if it sits too long on the shelf apparently it can get out of sync and won't connect until the support guy sent a reset signal; these are things only the remote guy can fix. A lot will depend upon how experienced he is (which is of course out of your control). A weak cable signal can prevent the TA from locking in, but the signal has to be pretty weak for the to happen; the installer should be able to determine whether there is a weak signal, but you might have to prod him (or he might be an inexperienced noob, in which case your time is wasted).

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you're having trouble with a TA or CableCARD on Spectrum, be sure to call their national CableCARD help desk at: 866-532-2598. Last I checked their hours extended way beyond 9-5 M-F, BTW.

12. bertp

bertp New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I did get to work with someone over the phone yesterday whom I think was in elevated support but we could never get the TA to respond correctly, He said he would send a technician out that night but we were later called by other person from Spectrum saying no one was available and they would send someone today but refused to give me a more narrow time frame ,,,, (I think more than likely no one is coming)

In another thread here, I found out that Spectrum has recently required all its cable card users to have a TA so perhaps there is a shortage of new and working TAs at Spectrum? I did notice the technician brought in all his equipment unboxed and unwrapped so I am guessing the TAs he attempted to install had already failed with other customers!!!

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Unless you're sure you have talked to the National CableCARD help desk, I recommend calling that number. Nothing to lose but a minute or two.