Special Upgrade Offers by Phone Only

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Emacee, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

My Tivo Series 3 has started showing main-screen messages about special upgrade offers for Premier. However, for these you have to call in to find out what they are (giving Tivo a chance to do some hard sell over the phone). Has anybody called? Any idea what these "special" offers are?

2. rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I saw that on my s3 last evening as well. Curious about it, but just like you, right now I would just want to know what it is about:confused: but don't want to call and deal w/the sales aspect of that call.

3. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm seeing it also on my Tivo HD's. I have no idea what it's about.

4. cmwm

cmwm New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    I just called and it is simply a no money down offer but not a better deal than they are already offering. I was told since I have a multiple user discount it would not be helpful. Sorry but for me it is a waste of time.

5. johnm4

johnm4 New Member

Jun 23, 2008

Advertisements

Called in. I qualified for a "rare" offer:
    $0 down + $20/month.

I said I don't want a monthly fee, what can they do for lifetime. They said
    $10 off the box and $100 off the lifetime, so
    $90 for the box and $400 for lifetime total.

That's only $10 off the standing offer I've seen since the premiere came out... no deal.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can get that same "deal" at Amazon any time. And on occasion you can catch a Premiere for $20-$30 cheaper.

Dan

7. arw01

arw01 Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Spokane WA
    Waiting here for a real deal to come along. $500 for lifetime and a box is not quite what I'm looking for yet.

Thought about the Elite, but at $900 that's a little silly. Tivo needs to get on-demand through the cable companies at these kinds of prices.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    At the ludicrous $20 (or $15)/month, $499 (or $399) for lifetime isn't really bad. It may hurt that it's up front, but overall it's a decent deal if you accept the $20 (or $15)/month value, anyway... and probably relatively comparable (or at least a significant portion of) to what you'd pay from the cable company for rental of their HD receiver/DVR.

Fortunately us Comcast users are destined to get OnDemand via the Premiere sometime soon.

Someone currently using two 2-tuner units even under grandfathered pricing could find the Elite an attractive option, since you'd replace two DVRs with one, reducing CableCARD fees from the cable company and subscription fees from TiVo (and technically having a resale value as well).

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have 4 TPs in four different rooms so the Elite would do nothing for me as I already have 8 tuners (that more than my family needs) and with the streaming it makes little difference what TiVo I use to record on now. I pay only $1.5 per cable card and no AO fee so even my savings would only be $3.00/month.

10. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    There are other reasons to consider it. Both my current TiVo HD boxes have lifetime, so the only savings on my monthly bill wout be getting rid of the fee for a second digital outlet. It would take a long time to recoup the cost of an Elite at that rate.

But I'd also like to get access to Comcast VOD, and the ability to sideload shows to my Android tablet. That makes getting some sort of Premiere an attractive proposition, and if I do that I'll probably just go for the Elite to simplify scheduling the 3rd (and very occasionally 4th) tuner.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    If you need output to 4 different devices, obviously you can't combine two of your 4 units into one Elite since each is needed to serve a different display device. I was thinking more in terms of those people who have two 2-tuner units hooked up to a single display who are using two units because they need use of 4 simultaneous tuners.

12. lrussell

lrussell New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Huh, it is kinda dumb that you can't do it online, but cool. :D

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I'd just buy a premiere with lifetime service with a credit card and make the minimum monthly payments to the credit card company, before I'd pay $20 per month for two years to Tivo.