Special offer. Upgrade Roamio OTA to Bolt OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rpiotro, Dec 13, 2018.

1. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    Anybody else see this yet? Bolt OTA with lifetime subscription all in for $299.00 with trade in of Roamio OTA. Requires promo code. Received email Just now.

I have until the 22nd to decide. I am still on the fence. I had a first gen Bolt that I bought from Amazon with a third party warranty on it thank God. After about 16 months the OTA tuner died. I was refunded the full cost of the Bolt. Bought the Roamio as a refurb for $299 including lifetime and had money left over. I have about 20 months remaining on the extended warranty from TiVo.

Can anybody make a compelling case for me to do this upgrade? The Roamio works for me just fine. I don't care about 4K streaming as I have a Roku Ultra.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    krkaufman likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Suggestion: do nothing.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Really, the advantages I see--apart from the 4K--are snappier apps and perhaps somewhat generally (e.g. restarting my Bolt box is much faster than on a Roamio box), which may matter to you especially if you do lots of apps on the box. The other feature the Bolt OTA adds over the Roamio OTA is a ~TiVo Stream capability onboard. And you would have a new box, as vs. one that is x months/years old.*

Some cons: some people find that Bolt boxes can run hot, which could affect lifespan; and options for hard drive replacement with a Roamio box may be more plentiful and less expensive than for a Bolt box.

Now the question is, is that worth $300.

* Of course, you also get a nifty, new-design bent Bolt enclosure :), which is smaller.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    IMO, the Bolt is inferior to the Roamio. 2.5" drive VS 3.5" drive (Roamio.)

chicagobrownblue and OrangeCrush like this.
  6. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    No thanks. Love my Roamio OTA that has been "upgraded" to be used with cable and bigger drive than a Bolt. :)

OrangeCrush and compuguy like this.
  7. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I received the same notice, and have the same setup, I do not see any value in spending $300 more in thier pocket. As for downside, If I decide to go cable, I can add an mcard adapter to Roamio, not the Bolt

8. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    So let me get this straight..... You have a OTA Roamio w/PLS and Tivo is offering for you to trade the Roamio OTA in on a shiny new Bolt OTA for $299
    And your Roamio OTA also has the warranty that lasts 20 more months.....

Easy decision....... NO

OrangeCrush and unclehonkey like this.
  9. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    Thanks to all that responded. I had pretty much made up my mind before I came here this morning. The comments here just reinforced my decision.

While that is a heck of a deal I can't justify it. $300.00 is still a lot of money to upgrade to something that may or may not be better. Who doesn't want the latest thing but my current machine does everything I want it to do and works just fine. I also do have a separate streamer so there's that too.

10. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I think you're making the right decision. The Bolt just isn't enough of an upgrade over a Roamio. I'll take another look when the release whatever comes after the Bolt if they ever do make one.

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Buying a Tivo Mini and a Tivo stream is another option for upgrading to a Bolt OTA.

12. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    This would be a great deal of it were 199

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'd say watch COMDEX, but the next box may not be what we hope for. I'm a poor predictor, and don't need to start a long string of speculative posts, so I'll just shut up.