Space remaining

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gcsheph, Sep 30, 2007.

1. gcsheph

gcsheph New Member

May 13, 2005

Advertisements

On an S3Hd unit is there some command you can enter that will tell you how much space is remaining on the disk? I looked through all the normal menus and can't seem to find anything. Many thanks.

2. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Do a search on "Free Space Indicator" or FSI.

It is probably the most hotly debated feature requests.

3. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    No, there is no such command.

If you have suggestions turned on you can get a rough idea by how many suggestions are on your unit as they are the first to go.

4. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    The only way to monitor free space...

Is to check the space that each of your shows is using. Add it all up and subtract from the size of hard disk your using.

TGC

5. Jay M

Jay M New Member

Sep 27, 2007

Advertisements

Why is this issue debated? It seems like a no-brainer to me. Have gone from the dreaded DishPlayer which had no indicator, and then moving to the 6412 which does tell you what percentage of space is used I can't imagine why such a premium product such as the Series3 doesn't at least give you an option.

How can I know how many season pases of HD shows I can afford before stuff I haven't seen yet gets booted off?

~Jay

6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    1st reason is that even if you know how many GigBytes are free, it tells you little about what you can record since there are many different compression levels. A single HD movie is vastly different than a SD half-hour show. Second, many people would not have a real need to change their behavior even if they knew. TiVo thinks that the complications of how to calculate and interpret the remaining number of bytes and the expected behavior are too much trouble.

If you think it is simple, I suggest you refer to the many threads on the topic. Although, I now think this thread will begin to repeat the never-ending arguments.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    When you create a new recoding, the Tivo does warn you if another program will have to be deleted earlier than previously expected.

If you are really concerned about the Tivo deleting programs before you've watched them, just set the season pass for your favorite shows to "keep until I delete." You'll find this option in the settings for each season pass. You can also watch your deleted items folder; when that folder is down to just a few recordings, you know you are almost out of space.

IIRC, Tivo has said in the past that they don't like the idea of a HD indicator because it adds to complexity. Tivo doesn't want people to have to 'think about' how much space they have. If Tivo did provide such an indicator, it would only be useful to 'techies' for the reasons ah30k stated.

Plan on adding an eSATA drive when Tivo officially supports eSATA drive expansion.

8. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Monitoring your recently deleted folder is an good indication of the drive getting full...

An as stated, check the programs for amount of space used per program for an indication of what each program uses up of the drive...

9. zaknafein

zaknafein Shorthanded

Jul 17, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    TiVo just uses a different methodology. It allows you to specify how long programs are guaranteed to be kept before they are deleted, rather than making you guess as to how much space may be available at any given moment, which may or may not be meaningful, given the aforementioned widely varying bit rates.

Fact is, this is something that has been debated since version 1 of the software, odds are, it isn't going to change now.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Not again!! :rolleyes:

11. Jay M

Jay M New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    sorry, I'm new to Tivo...

I lived with the Dishplayer for 5 years or so, then the Motorola 6412 for a few years.

Looking at % remaining space available is very easy. Much easier than monitoring the deleted items folder. I knew that if I had only 10% left that an HD movie would pretty much fill it up.

A half hour sitcom in SD is somehwere between .5 and 1%, HD is a bit higher.

I don't think you have to be a techie to understand the concept of percent remaining.

I find it to be quite confusing to have to create rules for every show just so I can be sure that things I want won't get deleted. It also may be a complete waste of time if my capacity is nowhere near full. But I have no way of knowing.

I guess I'll need to find a thread that states Tivo's opinion on the issue. In my wildest imagination I can't see how knowlege of space available will interfere with the Tivo experience.

At the very least there should be a secret code you can punch in like you do to get the 30 second skip. I guess 30 skip is another hot topic. The lack of 30 second skip is the reason I have waited so long to buy a Tivo. I hope they don't take our little hack away.

~Jay

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you suggest someone use the Recently Deleted Folder as a rough FSI, rather than Suggestions. Since around half of TiVo users *don't* use Suggestions, this is a hit or miss idea. But all HD units have the RD folder, so it is a much better indicator.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The problem is even if they show you how much is remaining there is no way to know exactly how many hours are available. The size on the hard drive for a 1 hour HD show can vary greatly. It could be 9GB or 4GB depending on the resolution and the compression used. And it can also vary by the time of day.

14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Just use the "Up to ??? HD hours, or ??? SD hours" format they have on the System Information screen and I'm sure people would be more than happy.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If it's something I want to keep, I mark it to keep it until I delete it. Anything else gets deleted on it's own. I have a Terabyte drive and if I have to worry about something getting deleted on a 1TB drive after marking the things I don't want deleted, then I have way too much stuff on the drive.

16. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Since I have suggestions on (the default behavior of the TiVo BTW,) my recently deleted is always empty as suggestions overwrite the recently deleted.

So this wouldn't occur to half of the TiVo users.. ;)

EDIT: And after thinking about this, the recently deleted is a TERRIBLE method to compute free space! For one thing, what if you don't delete much..? Nothing would be there anyway.. that doesn't mean your TiVo is empty....

17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    You are correct, but why does that make it terrible? If you don't delete much, then your TiVo is usually/almost full. Hence a low RD Folder means you are almost out of space. A high count in the RD means you have mucho room.

18. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    If I have 500 hours of programming, my TiVo is only half full. Still 0 recently deleted, if I haven't deleted anything..

19. spiraleyes

spiraleyes Tivo noob

Sep 17, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    I'm a noob coming from a Comcast DVR, and I am really surprised that there isn't any indicator on how much space is left.

Seems like a no-brainer, a basic feature to have.

20. eDbolson

eDbolson Member

Oct 25, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    I hate to add to this debate, but I also have a Comcast DVR and it has percent full and it is never close to correct. You know you have some space left, but since you don't know how much a program will fill up (guessing can work, but HD programs really, really vary especially movies and sports).

But of course the Comcast DVR's (I've had 3 now) have the wonderful FEATURE that they can instantly go 100% EMPTY (0r 0% full) without you having watched or deleted anything. This has happened about a half dozen times to me, to the point where I just use the damn thing to pause live shows. I can't afford to use it as my "3rd and 4th tuner" as I expected when I kept it after buying the Series 3.

With the promise of MRV, I'm buying a TiVoHD in November...