SP Question: Jimmy Fallon

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Sirius Black, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I have a "first-run only" Jimmy Fallon pass. It is a fresh season pass that I just created. For reasons unbeknownst to me, it refuses to keep itself to "first-run only" and records everything, reruns, included. Right now, I think I get two episodes a night because that's how the show works. No other season pass set for "first-run only" records reruns, just Jimmy.

And Yes, I have already tried canceling the season pass, waiting for the clean-up and then recreating it again. Same results.

Any thoughts?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    What do you see in the info for the reruns? If it's a generic description, that's your explanation -- the reruns aren't being identified, so the SP records them just in case they're new. (You're actually incredibly lucky if this is the first time you've seen that behavior.)

Another way this can happen is if they're reruns from within the last two weeks (?), of shows that you didn't watch the first time. If the episodes expire due to "keep at most" limits before you watch them, they'll be recorded again if they appear within that window.

3. bp888

bp888 New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I have the same problem with the Jimmy Fallon show. Used to have the same problem with Leno when it reran after Carson Daly.

4. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    It happens with both generic and 'named-episodes'. I just have to go into the to-do list and trim every couple weeks. As for 'shows I didn't watch that record again because it is within two weeks, some of them are; some of them aren't.

I am lucky that most of the shows I have in my season pass list are straight-forward. I'd think a daily talk show would be as well. However, that does give me an idea regarding "keep at most" to 1. Of course, that would bite me when the rerun episode overwrites the fresh, new episode. Worth looking into though.

5. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Often when the directory service does not get specific program information for a repeat program they will use a generic description for the program. Occasionally, the internal Tivo flag for "repeat" is missing or not correct (not the "R" you see in the guide listing). Tivo picks it up as a new program just to be safe. You can skip recording these by creating a WishList with the following (Example using Late Night With Jimmy Fallon):

Title Keyword: LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON

Keyword: INTERVIEWS AND COMEDY SKETCHES (or whatever the generic description is in your area)

WishList Name: Late Night With Jimmy Fallon (or whatever you want the Now Playing folder to be called)

IMPORTANT!!!: Before selecting "Done editing...", go back into Keyword and go down to "INTERVIEWS AND COMEDY SKETCHES" and press the :up: or :thumbsdown: on your remote. This puts a minus (-) in front of it.

Set your WishList to auto-record with your prefered settings and you will never get those generic episodes again. The auto-record WishList shows up in your Season Pass list. Be sure to put it in the right priority placing and delete the old Season Pass. Hope this helps!

The "PopcornGuy" at Kernel Encore :)

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The *late night* reruns have no guide info, that's why they're being recorded.