SP is Set, but won't ever record

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mphare, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004

Advertisements

I have 3 DSR-704s and they all have this exact same problem.

First, I live in the DFW area, if someone here can set an SP on their DTiVo for this and let me know if it records on your machine, I'd really appreciate it.

I set an SP for "NBC5 News at 10PM Sunday". The programs never show up on the ToDo list and they never record.

A similar SP for "NBC5 News at 10PM" (for Monday ~ Friday) records just fine. it's just the Sunday SP that won't

Any ideas on this one?

2. Aug 1, 2008 #2 of 10
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Have you confirmed the title matches what actually airs on Sunday?

Try deleting the SP, then going into the guide, go to Sunday and find the newscast, and recreate the SP from there.

phox

3. Aug 1, 2008 #3 of 10
    IminMs

IminMs New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I think i remember a few mos. back someone had a similar situation and i think it was determined that the SP was seeing the different shows as being the same thing. ie "CBS News" and did not see that the 5pm and the 10pm were different in the description.
    They had to manually set up the recording for the time(s) they wanted. If you have anything else recording in that time slot area, it may be trying to record it at a later time.

This may or may not be the case in your situation.

4. Aug 1, 2008 #4 of 10
    Richard R1

Richard R1 Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Texas
    I live in the DFW area, and after setting a SP for the same newscast, they do show up in my To Do List -- both the 8-3 and the 8-10 episode. I'll have to wait until Sunday night to see if it records, but I don't see why not. After all, they are in my To Do List, and yours wasn't.

Does your Recording History shed any light on the problem? Perhaps it will be listed there, with an explanation as to why it will not record. This is what IminMs was referring to about the time slot.

Richard
    Hughes series 2 D-Tivo.

PS - The show title is specific enough to separate Sunday's airing from the weekday airings. After setting the SP, viewing all upcoming episodes lists only the above mentioned episodes. I did make my SP directly from the guide, so I didn't have to type anything in.

5. Aug 1, 2008 #5 of 10
    dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey

Advertisements

The TiVo doesn't read the title or description. Each program is assigned a unique multi-digit number. That is what the DVR goes by.

6. Aug 1, 2008 #6 of 10
    aawalker

aawalker New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Portland
    I had same problem with CNN Election Center. The SP needs to be set to reruns and first run. If it is set to first run only, it does want to record. Also check that noting in the SP manager is higher priority at the same time.

7. Aug 1, 2008 #7 of 10
    IminMs

IminMs New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Thats what i was trying to say. The Tivo selected to record one of the two and didn't record both because it thought it had recorded it. NOW i remember the solution was repeats and fist run as you cleared that up.

8. Aug 2, 2008 #8 of 10
    mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Thanks everyone.

I have repeats and first run set.
    I've set the SP up as many different ways as I can think.
    Through Search and through the Guide.
    There are no conflicting recordings. There is only one showing of this newcast, it shouldn't think it's already recorded it that day.
    The fact the problem exists on all 3 machines is what bothers me, but if you got it to work on yours, then it must be something specific to mine. All 3 of mine are running 6.2a, what about yours? What version of software are you running?

Thanks again!

9. Aug 2, 2008 #9 of 10
    Richard R1

Richard R1 Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Texas
    My unit is a Hughes Series 2 HDVR2, running version 6.4a-01-2-151. I doubt that a small difference in version number would account for this problem -- this is a MAJOR discrepancy in function, for whatever reason.

Does your Recording History give any clue to why it will not record?

Have you power-cycled the unit(s)? Almost every glitch I have ever seen magically disappears after doing so. Since it is happening with all three of your DSR-704's, this may not be such a sure cure.

10. Richard R1

Richard R1 Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Texas
    I have not seen a response about what your Recording History says, but I think I understand what the problem is now.

Prior to Sunday night, my newly created SP showed both upcoming shows listed to be recorded. As soon as the 8-3-08 show recorded, the next showing on 8-10-08 was delisted, with the Recording History giving me the 28 day excuse.

Changing your SP settings, as has been previously suggested, would be the cure for this problem, since every showing looks like a repeat, instead of a new showing. And, you would have to specify "All (with Duplicates)", not just repeats (your post said "repeats and first run").

Once I made that change, the next showing on 8-10-08 became listed again. And, the problem exists on all three of your units, because under the same circumstances, the problem is the natural response of the software -- every D-Tivo should do the same thing.