Southland (Pilot)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RonDawg, Apr 10, 2009.

1. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

In some ways it was a fresh take on the cop show. The producers also hired a lot of local cops as advisors, so you're not hearing East Coast terminology like "perp."

However there is still some typical cop-show cliches:

1. This kid is supposedly a month out of the academy and yet he's got that "Deer in the Headlights" expression the entire shift.

2. Just because he's a rookie doesn't have to mean he wears his Class A formal uniform while his training officer is in short sleeves.

3. Much of the dialogue would be a sustained complaint in most departments today, especially the LAPD.

Overall, not a bad effort.

2. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Interesting how they chose to use the bleeping.

A-hole was used twice. Bleeped only once. Calling someone directly an a-hole got the bleep, describing someone as an a-hole didn't.

"Show us your <small bird also called a chickadee>" also got a bleep.

--Carlos V.

3. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I was impressed with it overall. It had a far more authentic feel to it than other cop shows but I'll agree with most of the cliches already mentioned. I figure the rookie was in his more formal uniform because it was his first day "on the job" after phase one probation ended. Also, I don't think the rookie had a deer in the headlights look when he shot that guy at the end with a very accurate (and lethal) grouping. The corporal even asked him about where he learned to shoot - though I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or not.

The cop who got shot at the end pretty much asked to be shot. He didn't search the bad guy properly. He even yelled at the rookie for trying to do so and then the rookie ended up saving the cop's life (??).

4. urwathrtz

urwathrtz Death Metal Dad

Jan 18, 2008
    Upstate, NY
    I liked it. Definitely will be checking it again next week.

5. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

Reminded me *very* much of "High Incident" from about a dozen years ago that was on ABC for couple seasons. It, too, gave a raw look at cops doing their thing on the streets of L.A., and glimpses into their personal lives. It was strictly uniformed officers, IIRC, though; no plain clothes like Southland has added. It was one of my very favorite shows when it aired. I like this, shall I say, "updated version" of it so far; but I sense it's going to move a bit slower than High Incident did.

6. mrowe8

mrowe8 "Too Slow - Chuck No

Dec 29, 2004
    Would have been nice to have this in a spoiler tag

7. plowsterbabe

plowsterbabe Indentured Servant

Feb 22, 2005
    Greenville, SC
    No, he doesn't. As listed in the Rules for Posting stickie, anything plot-related is fair game to be posted. Plus the shooting was featured prominently in the promo spots for the show.

Yeah, this also reminded me of High Incident. The training officer reminded me a lot of the character of Jim Marsh.

8. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    This is the official thread to talk about the episode. The thread isn't really named the way it should be but I inferred that this was the place to talk about it. Now, if I talked about something from the previews for next week, then I would have broken the rules.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I haven't watched it yet, though it does sound good. If you are going to have bleep worthy dialog, put it on FX. I hate bleeping. Who are they trying to protect? Potty mouthed school children would think this sort of dialog is really tame.

10. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I thought it had a first-season E.R. feel to it, which is the slot they stuck it in, with some Hill Street Blues grittiness.

11. mchasal

mchasal Member

Jun 6, 2001
    NY, USA
    While I liked the show overall, the bleeping really bothered me. It's not like this was some HBO show that got moved over to broadcast at the last minute. I think they should have written the dialog appropriate to the medium it was going to be shown on. I'm sure they did it to go for some sort of shock value, but to me it was just distracting.

12. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I got the impression that it was his first time out on patrol even though he'd been out of the academy for a month.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It sounded to me like they were going for a "Cops"-style cinema-vérité feel.

Not that that would be a good thing, but that's what it felt like.

14. BlearyEyed

BlearyEyed BlearyEyed

Jun 11, 2002
    Colorado...
    I too liked the show and will certainly be tuning in again next week, but not once in this thread has anyone used a single character name from the show. I watched it, liked it, and other then knowing that the rookie's name is "Ben" (which I only know because I believe that's the actor's actual name) I don't know a single name either.

I recognize that the show is so far to some extent more about the story than the characters, but I'm worried that if the audience doesn't connect with the characters this show won't last long, no matter how good the story is or I liked it personally. Anyone else see the same thing?

15. needo

needo New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I am terrible with names. Even shows I watch for years I still sometimes have issues with the character's names. In person is a bit different, but it still takes me awhile to remember someone's name.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's why we like to use the names of actors' previous characters around here.

Shame this one has such a no-name cast...why couldn't they have used more Vancouver genre veterans? :D

17. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I liked it and all, i just wish there was something else other than Cop shows, lawyer shows, and doctor shows.

18. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    That's usually not the case though, at least in SoCal policing. I think it was a directorial decision to further differentiate the rookie from the veterans.

Actually, he did very much have that look once the reality of the situation took hold. That part is realistic.

As far as the senior officer's comment, that was more of a compliment than anything.

19. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    High Incident was my favorite, and I was disappointed to see it cancelled. I guess it was TOO cliche-free :rolleyes:

The detective part is going to be necessary for certain types of storylines, and also because all-patrol scenarios haven't been all that successful except for a handful of shows. It also adds to the realism, because in reality, patrol and detectives rely on each other, and cannot function independently.

20. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Which is not realistic. While many agencies add additional post-academy training, mostly to go over administrative stuff, I can't think of why it should last a month.

In some parts of the US, a rookie who is a month out of the academy would already be on his or her own.