South Park - "You're Getting Old" - 06/08/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by rgr, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 #1 of 35
    rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Crappy episode. I only watched it to the end out of a desire to see if anything would be funny. Nope.

Are Matt and Trey giving up on South Park? That seems to be the takeaway at the end of the show. We all get older, we grow apart, our interest change, etc., etc. It'd be a shame, as they've done such good work in the past. But I'd rather they stop rather than run it into the ground.

2. Jun 9, 2011 #2 of 35
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah I was really thinking this was going to be a great season after the human centIpad episode but for all the other eps I only got about 5 or 10 minutes in and bailed out. Personally I can't wait for the return of Beavis and Butt-head *if* it can hold up to the comedy standards as I recall them. That would be cool.

3. Jun 9, 2011 #3 of 35
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    It was Matt and Trey's way of saying "Yes, we're contractually obligated to keep making these shows, but you know what, our hearts aren't in it anymore.". I respect that.

4. Jun 9, 2011 #4 of 35
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    So you're all saying that the show looked like sh*&?
    Maybe you're all just getting old. ;)

5. Jun 9, 2011 #5 of 35
    McGonigle

McGonigle Far out!

Nov 7, 2001
    Marshall County
    Good one, rgr!:)
    I thought this one was hilarious. Stan is growing up. The Marsh's are splitting up. Should be interesting to see if they keep up this dynamic next season.

6. Jun 9, 2011 #6 of 35
    Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    After the episode 200 and 201 incident i can't blame them at all for tonight's episode.

7. Jun 9, 2011 #7 of 35
    knuckles

knuckles Watch This Baby!

Dec 21, 2002
    Northeastern PA
    I don't respect that. They signed a contract, took the money, and they are putting out some of their worst work. Seems like this season every other show has been good. The opposite weeks are really just terrible. If they don't want to do this anymore they should give the money back and quit.

8. Jun 9, 2011 #8 of 35
    SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    This seems like a typical South Park half-season to me. One awesome home run (Human CentiPad), a couple solid good episodes (TMI & City Sushi), a few so-so episodes (Crack Baby Athletic Assoc, Funnybot, Royal Pudding) and a clunker (You're Getting Old).

Nothing new about this pattern and I will continue to watch for as long as they're on the air just to catch those occasional home runs. :)

9. Jun 9, 2011 #9 of 35
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I interpreted this as, "We've attacked pretty much everything...except our own show...until now."

If I didn't know there were seven or so more episodes remaining in the season, I would have guessed that this was the series finale - and, apparently, so did a few other people.

10. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    After watching the abortion that was "Royal Pudding" this was comedy gold in comparison. I usually like all things Randy but the whole Steamy Ray Vaughnn stuff was crap.

I liked when they told Stan that they didn't want to hear anything negative about the movie they were going to see, and then it turns out it's the x man movie. Hah. I agree with the preview of the Jim Carrey penguin movie. I think the previews look like crap, too.

As long SP never has another putrid Canadien themed episode, I'm good.

11. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    ^^ I thought Royal Pudding was much better than last night's episode.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I liked it until the last few minutes. The everything shut reminded me of early South Park when gross things happened for no apparent reason. Then they got all heavy and messagy.

Look, ass turds. Just do your damned show.

13. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    What freaked me out was at the very end when Kyle and Cartman were playing video games together and they looked at each other and smiled...:eek::eek::eek:
    They can't get along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The episode was pretty much what it was themed. It was Sh*t. This was the worst one in a long time, and I actually liked almost all the episodes this season. I kind of got the feeling that this was the only episode they thought out and planned from the beginning as it was not at all "timely". I think Matt and Trey work better under the gun when they put out something based on a recent event or some current trend. This one was just over the top crude, and it got to the point that after awhile, I couldn't watch the brown stuff anymore.

It was interesting that this came out within a few days of their triumph at the Tonys.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    And at the Tonys they thanked South Park fans twice. Guys, instead of words of thanks, thank us by doing good shows again.

16. kcarl75

kcarl75 Active Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Southern NH
    i think after all these seasons, I might be done with the season pass. The funny/not funny ratio is just too low.

17. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Something tells me that Trey and Matt now consider themselves "beyond South Park," especially with those Tony wins.

(Speaking of the Tonys, I was a little surprised either of them even showed up; IIRC, they didn't appear to pick up their Emmys when SP won a couple of years ago. They gave the impression that they were "in hiding" from Scientology lawyers still mad about the SP episode that "exposed Scientology secrets" (and it didn't help that, even though the credits had everybody listed as "John Smith" and "Jane Smith", the episode got nominated for an Emmy, and the main people involved were named in the nomination announcement).)

18. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    And if you think the old and new ones looked like sh*&, that means you are a cynical ***hole.

19. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I don't get all the hatred for this episode. Sure, it wasn't the best but I thought it was one of the better ones.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time. Yeah, it was a downer at the end.. but I thought the "cynical bastard" (or whatever he exactly said) diagnosis was funny. I presume it's going to be continued?