South Beach: 2-hr premiere - Weds, Jan 11 '05

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by northmoor, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 10
    northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    with the return of Lost and some other shows, it looks like I might be breaking out the VCR to catch the premiere of South Beach on UPN. Looks like there'll at least be some eye candy.

I had heard about the show, and just noticed that Vanessa Williams is starring in it.

After the premiere this Weds, it will be the lead-in show for Veronica Mars on Weds nights on UPN.

anyone else planning on catching this 2-hr premiere of South Beach?

http://www.upn.com/shows/south_beach/

2. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_2200.asp

"By Diego Vasquez
    Jan 12, 2006

UPN’s new Miami-set drama “South Beach” had received sour reviews, and it appears viewers took those reviews to heart.

The show’s premiere averaged a mere 1.0 overnight rating among viewers 18-49 in its 8 p.m. timeslot last night, even with what the network had averaged in the slot over the last four weeks.

That’s especially disappointing considering UPN had aired mostly reruns of “Eve,” “Love, Inc.,” “Girlfriends” and “Everybody Hates Chris” in that slot over the last month. The only original program to air in that time was an “America’s Next Top Model” reunion show, which averaged a 1.4 overnight rating on Dec. 14.

Even more discouraging for UPN, a second episode of “South Beach” aired in the 9 p.m. slot last night, falling 10 percent versus the premiere to a 0.9 average overnight rating among 18-49s.

Critics have been most unkind to “South Beach.” The Washington Post’s Tom Shales wrote this week: “The ‘drama’ is like an overheard conversation on an elevator that stops at no floors. Fortunately, there is a way out: your channel-changing remote, wondrous transport to that blessed refuge known as Anywhere Else.”

Just 2.4 million viewers tuned in for the premiere."

==

I wonder how long the show will last ?

3. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    I have it recorded, but haven't watched it, yet. The ratings don't surprise me. It seems like it was incredibly stupid to have the premiere running opposite 2 hours of the winter return of one of the most popular shows, like Lost.

Seems like it would have been smart to start South Beach last week on say Tuesday or even Monday.

I saw the critic at the Washington Post (Shales) not only ripped South Beach, but his review of Book of Daniel last week was the worst of all the critics, where most critics were favorable to that show. So, I'd wonder if this guy's reviews are out of the mainstream, even for critics.

But, it appears the reviews for South Beach overall weren't all that great. The NY Post and Chicago Sun Times gave it generally favorable reviews.
    http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/southbeach

Here's a listing of reviews for Book of Daniel at metacritic where this guy (Shales) gave the worst review of anyone to Book of Daniel (even worse than the review he gave for South Beach):
    http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/bookofdaniel

I'll likely watch the South Beach episode tonight or tomorrow night. It will be interesting to see what some others from here think about it.

4. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    I was able to watch this 2-hour premiere last night, and it was decent. I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to seeing the next one. Any show that can keep me interested for 2 hours is alright, to me. It seems to have some potential to be real good with some good writing and storylines. It had the beginning parallels of a sort of Grand Theft Auto-Vice City feel to it. (I think one of the lesser known, supporting actresses was the same one that was in episode 1 of Supernatural, where she played the main character's girlfriend.)

It's a soap opera type show (like dallas, dynasty, melrose etc). I usually enjoy those types of shows, if they are decent.

Stupid move though to introduce it on Weds night opposite the return of Lost.

5. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    Agreed, time slot can be a killer.

6. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I wanted to check out the premiere but didn't know it was on last night. I even checked listings to see what was on in general last night and must of have not noticed. Although I *did* spot the 'Beauty and the Geek 2' premiere in the listings. But I opted to record/watch 'Lost' instead with the idea that I'd bittorrent Geek later (which I did this morning.)

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Finally was able to watch this. Not that impressed. Not horrible, but not worth me keeping an SP for. I'm having a hard enough time keeping caught up on everything else.

Very much reminded me of last years "North Shore" soap with the criminal elements of Miami Vice stirred in.

The girl playing Arielle is a total stunner. Wow.

8. sik209

sik209 New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    I watched and was pretty disapointed.

9. Z-Todd

Z-Todd hard-core '24' fan

Jun 11, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Actually, this show isn't half bad. And like Jeeters said, it's a lot like North Shore (which I really liked).

Too bad the ratings suck, so it has little or no chance of ending up on the new CW network.

10. alphacooler

alphacooler New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    This show sucks! Nuff said.