Source for used or reconditioned TIVOs

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ammodave, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ammodave

ammodave New Member

May 12, 2016
    Niceville, Fl
    I have 2 lifetime Series 3 TIVOS. One works great but the other has started spontaneously restarting itself; sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. I suppose I could try replacing the power supply or hard drive (or both) but I'm not confident that will fix the problem. I'm satisfied with the capabilities of the Series 3 so I'm looking for a replacement with lifetime service. Ebay seems to be a crapshoot; I'm finding nothing on Craigslist. Can someone suggest a source?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is the correct diagnosis. The power supply is the culprit, mainly its the capacitors that need to be replaced. If you just replace the power supply entirely, the problem may still appear in upcoming years as the power supply may be just as old. You can find an electronics repair shop if you are not capable of replacing the capacitors yourself. Next, the hard drive would need to be replaced if there are any problems there after the power supply is fixed.

If you are going to replace this unit with another Series 3, you need to find one with Lifetime Service because Tivo will no longer activate Series 3 or older units, but they will transfer the ownership of an active Tivo with lifetime.

Functions of the Series 3 are limited, they will only record shows, and there no longer is YouTube, Netflix. If you record from cable and they use MPEG4 for content, it will not work if its a TCD648250B model (OLED). Other Series 3 models will record and play MPEG4 and that is all.

You would be better with a Premiere or later unit.

3. ammodave

ammodave New Member

May 12, 2016
    Niceville, Fl
    Would a Premier "talk" to my other Series 3?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, as long they all have Tivo service. Except for software version v21, which makes it harder to next to impossible to copy shows between them.

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yes they will talk to each other; streaming does not work in either direction.
    The only useful feature is the ability to transfer non copy protected programs between the two.

Far as fixing the power supply.
    Google electronics repair for your area.
    There should be someone that can swap the capacitors for a reasonable price.

Also, please include city & state in your profile.

6. ammodave

ammodave New Member

May 12, 2016
    Niceville, Fl
    Thanks, I'm satisfied with my current TIVO. I'll try replacing the power supply first.

7. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Better to get your tivo's power supply repaired; as any replacement (used part) will have the same problem sooner or later.

8. ammodave

ammodave New Member

May 12, 2016
    Niceville, Fl
    Going with a tested and repaired unit from an eBay vendor.

Teeps likes this.
  9. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    That will work too...
    Looks like the prices are not terrible for refurbished units.
    Make sure to get the correct power supply.