Sound problem with S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Ivomir, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006

Advertisements

I'm having a weird sound problem on my S3. I have the Tivo connected to the TV with HDMI, then the TV connected to the sound system with optical cable (it is a 2.1 "surround" system like this: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=363836). From time to time the sound on one of the speakers gets all staticy. I can still hear some of the sounds, but the rest are garbled. The problem shows up on SD and HD recordings, as well as in some menu sounds. At the same time the sound comes fine from the TV speakers. Restarting the Tivo fixes the problem. Just restarting the TV or the sound system doesn't fix it. After I restart the Tivo the problem goes away for a few weeks and then the sound starts to gradually degrade.

BTW, I often get another problem: When I switch inputs on the TV I get loud static from the speakers until I restart the TV or the sound system. I've heard that's a common problem with optical connections. But the problem above is something different, as I'm getting some sounds but not others.

Any idea what's going on? Does it sound like Tivo, TV, or sound system problem? Maybe HDMI or optical cable problem? What can I try to troubleshoot it?

Thanks
    Ivo