Sound Bar Volume Not As Loud for 480i Programs as it is for 1080i/720p Programs.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by STEVEN HUNSADER, Jan 25, 2019.

1. STEVEN HUNSADER

STEVEN HUNSADER New Member

Jan 25, 2019
    I have a Roamio OTA. I receive my programs via a TV antenna. I recently purchased a Samsung Q6F 4K TV and a Samsung HW-M460 sound bar. I have the Roamio connected to the TV with an HDMI cable and the sound bar connected to the TV with the sound bar supplied digital optical cable. The sound bar works great and I get very good audio for the HD (1080i/720p) stations. The sound bar audio settings for these are typically 10 or 11. For the SD (480i) stations, the volume needs to be raised to 17 or 18 to get the same listening level. The Tivo is set to dolby digital and the TV is set to default to the sound bar for audio. Is there any adjustment I can make on the Tivo to get the SD stations at the same audio level as the HD stations?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You should probably hook it up with the HDMI in/out and retry.

-KP

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You could also try hoooking the sound bar to the tv via its built in Samsung wireless connection, that might be via Bluetooth if I’m not mistaken and is how my Samsung tv and SB are hooked up. Though I have a feeling the channels you are watching in 480i are not as high video/audio quality as one of the broadcast networks in 1080/720 and that is the reason for the low volume and you will probably only see marginal improvement with a change in cables. There is a volume leveling setting in the TV but I think that kills the good channels sound to make it seem more even. Good luck.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This might be due to your 480i channels being DD 2.0 and the HD stations being DD 5.1. Perhaps the TV has a setting to force DD 5.1 on all output? Have you found the same difference when streaming? Most YouTube is PCM, and Amazon movies are DD+.

When watching recordings on my Roamio I usually need to add 3dB to 6dB to get the same sound level as live TV.

5. STEVEN HUNSADER

STEVEN HUNSADER New Member

Jan 25, 2019
    Thanks for the replies. The TV does not have a setting to force DD 5.1 on the 480i stations. The source of the problem is with the 480i stations. When I switch the viewing to by pass the Tivo and watch them directly using the TV tuner, the same volume drop occurs.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Why aren't you going to make the proper connections passing the HDMI through the Soundbar first?

-KP