Sorting out recording schedules for Winter 2006 broadcast season

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 27
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

It just took me almost 2 hours to sort out how to go about recording this season's shows with the new midseason additions I want to check out... it's getting more and more difficult! This is supposed to be what the damn TiVo does. Multi-unit scheduling needs to be seriously dealt with soon. ;)

I used to manage this in a text file; it had to become a spreadsheet to make it easier to figure out conflicts since I have to review things whenever I hear of some special schedule change.

[​IMG]

B (red) & C (orange) represent two HR10-250's; the number is the season pass priority -- no indication of personal preferences is inteded by lower vs. higher numbers, that's just the order they were created.

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 27
    IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Wow, that is impressive. I need to do that too. Thanks for the great idea.

You sure do record a lot of stuff. Do you watch all that stuff, or is some of that watched by other family members?

I see a couple of my favorites missing there -- Without a Trace and Monk ;)

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 27
    jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    The way I handle mine is I simply arrange my SP priorities in order of preference on one HR10-250, and arrange the list in reverse on my other one. That way, I'd have to have at least a 5-way conflict in order to actually miss something. And they'd all have to be HD shows - I have SPs for non-HD shows (That 70's Show, Survivor, Scrubs, Veronica Mars, couple others I think) only on my SD boxes.

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 27
    Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Sponsored by no one

Apr 12, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    That is a cool idea! Care to share the spreadsheet template?

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 27
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

When I got my HDtivo for triple conflicts, on excel I ordered my SP by day of week(time), alpha, and by tivo assigned. It's great to have that info at a glance. It was obvious what conflicts needed to be resolved that way (day of week/time sort) and in what order. I created all the HD SP possible on the tivo entering them by day of week and time. Basically chronologically starting at Sunday. Of course there's an occasional HD program I had to shuttle to the T60. But the system worked well.

6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 27
    dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I did think about doing it that way but it aggravated me enough with 3 or 4 shows I had set up on both to delete the extra copy -- and I don't always stay up to date watching things so it just gets messier with duplicates after a couple weeks.

7. Jan 5, 2006 #7 of 27
    dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
  8. Jan 5, 2006 #8 of 27
    dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Just me; though I did just add midseason replacements to the list making it longer than it was; we'll see how many of those stay. The only one I don't watch on there is Gilmore Girls -- I was planning to try but unsure if I want to just jump into this season or catch up from the beginning first. I'll have to decide soon; they're piling up on one of my DVR's and soon enough they'll be taking up more space than I want to dedicate to them.

9. Jan 5, 2006 #9 of 27
    jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Well, if that bothers you, then yeah, my method wouldn't work for you. Most stuff gets recorded on both - I have only a few 3-way conflicts and 4-ways are very rare. Even if the conflict is apparent on my spreadsheet (similar to yours) it's rare that they're all new episodes as well. But it doesn't bother me, especially since I'm sorta paranoid about crashes, and it serves the dual purpose of backup recordings (when there aren't conflicts, of course). We split our time pretty evenly between the two rooms, so we just delete whatever we've watched when we sit down to watch stuff. I also have to delete them from the SD unit as well - I have the non-HD shows at the top of that list, then the HD shows in the same order as the primary HD-TiVo. That actually comes in handy since I've been missing the first minute or so of a lot of shows on my HD units lately.

I guess the other disadvantage to my method is recording space. Right now I really feel the need to keep up on shows, because with only up to 70 & 77 hours of recording time, I have my SPs set to keep 3 episodes and save until space needed. I guess I could afford to get further behind if I weren't recording everything on both. But we've been keeping up a lot better this season, we actually have less than a page on the list right now.

10. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    One other aspect I hadn't thought about before is that I use the EndPadPlus hack to automatically always try to have a 2 minute early start and 5 minute late end on every recording. If I were to have the same, alebit reversed, SP list on each unit, I'd be drastically reducing the times that the tuners would be free on one or both ends of a program in order to give me that extra padding.

11. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Gloss Drops Rosebuds

Sep 19, 2005
    Edmonton Canada
    Monk rules, I really need to add that to my season passes.

12. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I work with a monk clone. He'll put his styrofoam container on top of a napkin so it doesn't touch the table.

13. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    How does the EndPadPlus hack handle conflicts? I notice a couple days where the tuners are needed on seperate channels in the following hour block, which would cause issues with padding. (Like Wed, you have a tuner from B on at 8, then 2 tuners from B on at 9 on different channels).

I've been doing the same type of thing but just scribbling it on paper, although I have to admit, having an easily read format like yours would be handy for when I have to go through and figure out if anythings screwing something up. I pad everything, so that definitely makes figuring out the scheduling more of a pain. I do seem to spend more time planning my tv recording ever since getting a tivo than I ever did on planning what to watch before.

14. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    In those situations you just end up with no padding at the end of the 8pm show or at the beginning of one of the 9pm shows.

There should be a thread around here that goes into the details of how the script actually works, but it doesn't cause any conflicts itself; it's very passive and just creates extra recording time on everything where it can... even on suggestions.

15. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Wow. How do you find any time left to post so much? And do you mult-task watching all these shows? :p

16. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Think of all the time I don't watch commercials. :)

17. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I have a planner on MeeVee which I use to keep track of what's on, and I juggle shows back and forth between our two SA TiVos.

Jan

18. IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I love making up lists like this and keeping track of my Tivo Season passes and such and looking for new shows to TiVo. But I think my husband (who is not into Tivo..could care less what he watches, or maybe just won't admit he loves it) thinks I am an obsessed lunatic. Thats not true (I don't think), is it? Does anyone else have a significant other who thinks we are nuts?

19. DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    My system is much easier, for me anyway: Tivo1 records everything on CBS. Tivo2 records everything on ABC. ReplayTV records everything of NBC. One tuner or the other on the cable box may be used to record anything I want to see in HB or on Fox, the WB, or any other channel. If more needs to be recorded (rare) there's a third TiVo elsewhere in the house, countless numbers of VCRs, and a computer that does an adequate job of acting like a DVR. Still, I somehow missed ER from last week.

20. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    hmmmmmm