Sort by oldest date first

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by megory, Feb 17, 2010.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

The only way I can find to sort by date is newest at the top. This doesn't work for me. I want the oldest on top (especially in my groups) just as I could do with my SA POS.

This is such a basic requirement, I'm sure there must be a way to do this, but I can't find it. Is there a backdoor code that I've missed?

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Why is it a "basic requirement"? It takes one button push to get to the end of the list, and then you just work your way up. There are issues with the way TiVo does things (dates for each group is one; you have to turn groups temporarily off if you are concerned about oldest shows), but sorting wouldn't seem to be a major issue.

3. harrinpj

harrinpj Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I agree with the OP on this one. This is something I've wanted forever. You say it takes one button to get to the end of the list but in a lot of cases this isn't true with the ads that they've included within the groups at the bottom. Most of the time you'd always want to watch the oldest show in a group first so why wouldn't you want that at the top of the list and work your way down? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Oh guys, this one is easy. Turn the TV upside down... Duh. As a bonus, the guide will also be in reverse order. Personally, I don't see the need as I find it just as easy to look at the end of a list as the beginning. However, everyone likes things a little different. You have to remember that when it comes to the UI department Tivo is known for its ease of use. 1000 settings would take that away. In this respect Tivo is like Apple, you get what they give you and nothing more (aka "they know best"). Maybe your request isn't too much to ask for, but to be honest there are about 20 features that I can think of that I think would be much more useful that Tivo hasn't implemented. Just look at all the threads around. Hopefully, for you, the March 2 announcement will be a new UI and it will include the option that you want. Well it is worth dreaming isn't it. :)

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida

Advertisements

It isn't as easy as you think when you have them in folders because they aren't necessarily at the bottom of the list. It could be the very top result because it has the newest recording in the same folder. Also once you get up to over 100 hours of recordings it is more of a pain not to use folders. They could just add a third option, sort alphabetically, sort by date newest to oldest, and sort by date oldest to newest.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Took me a second there to understand your post. Yes, I see how it could be useful as the folders mask which one holds the oldest recording when sorted by date (since the folder with the newest recording could also have the oldest one in it). From my stance the only reason why I can see this would affect someone is if things they really wanted to see got deleted. I guess for me, this doesn't bother me as I always have enough free space (Suggestions and Recently Deleted) and I have yet to have anything I wanted deleted. However, for those with the crazy wants to record everything showing, then I could see the problem. Shouldn't this be partially mitigated by use of KUID (which of course isn't without its own problems)? Or is there some other problem other than early deletion that I am not thinking of?

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, yes.. The idea(*) that if people are recording multiple episodes of a TV show, they
    want to watch them in the order they were aired.

So whenever I watch a show, I enter the group, go to the bottom of the list, and play that one.. delete it when I'm done.. go up one (err, it does that automatically when you nuke the last one).. and so on..

and the fact that PLAY on a folder (which I almost never use, except when "dubbing" multiple items to watch on my non-Tivo recorder later) goes from oldest to newest too.

(*) I originally said 'fact', but I have no proof.

8. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    S1 users already have a 3rd option - sort by expiration date (which is a lot like sort by oldest, except SUID and if someone changed the save until date. So maybe they can make the oldest sort option 4 and bring back by expiration date.

9. MDMarshall

MDMarshall New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    "Two and a half Men" has several stations showing old episodes, so its folder is always at the top of the list, while I'm down at the bottom trying to watch the oldest shows!

I can't believe they haven't implemented this feature!!!!

Mike

10. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I'm not 100% certain about this, but when I was trying to catch up on the series "Criminal Minds", I had both a Season Pass set to First Run Only, and an Auto Record Wish List set to First Run & Repeats. I think the SP episodes were stored in one folder, while the ARWL was stored in another. After a couple of months, I was caught up and deleted the ARWL, so I no longer have those episodes in my NPL. If I recall correctly, that (semi) separated the new shows from the repeats. The new shows were also found in the "repeat" folder.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    In this case, all recordings of Criminal Minds would show up in both folders.
    Folders are for program titles not just SP's. Any repeat recorded by the ARWL will also appear where the SP recordings are found, in the folder for programs of that same title. Likewise, a first run SP recording of Criminal Minds also falls into the ARWL criteria and will also appear in the ARWL folder.