Sop/Pause TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ba2991, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ba2991

ba2991 New Member

Feb 28, 2011

Advertisements

Im thinking of purchasing the Network Home Package for my TiVo (for Australia) and was wondering when im watching a movie from my computer can I stop/pause/ with my TiVo remote or do I have to go back to the computer and stop/pause it from there.

Cheers

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    When you watch a movie that was stored on your computer from the TiVo, it actually copies the movie to your TiVo. You can start watching it while it's still transferring or wait until later. Either way, everything is done with the TiVo remote.

3. ba2991

ba2991 New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Hi and thanks for you're reply.
    Sorry but I didn't make my self very clear. I should have said, If I download a movie .mov from the internet can I still Stop/Pause it with the TiVo remote while viewing it via the TiVo/tv.

Cheers

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If you download a .mov file to your computer it will have to be transcoded into a format that your TiVo can handle, then you could use the TiVo Desktop software to transfer it to the TiVo. You can also use pyTiVo for the conversion & transfer, or even Streambaby to stream it without physically transferring it to the TiVo. Either way you can pause, rewind, etc from the TiVo.

pyTivo is more complicated to set up initially than TiVo Desktop, but it's free and it can convert a wider range of internet files than Desktop with the $25 Plus upgrade. AFAIK Streambaby only works with files that are already in a native format that your TiVo can play. You can find a lot more on both tools in the Home Media forum.

5. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Advertisements

Streambaby also uses ffmpeg to convert to mpeg2 (by default), or ffmpeg can be disabled, limiting Streambaby to only TiVo compatible files. I opted for the latter, and convert non-compliant files to h264/ac3/mp4. There are quite a few options that can be set in the Streambaby ini file. :up: