Sony VTX-D8000U

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by parsonjr, Jun 28, 2011.

1. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...

Advertisements

Are any of you feeding a Tivo with a Sony VTX-D8000U freeview set top box, in which case can you tell me please which RF channel you are using to link the set top box and Tivo. i am currently having a problem

2. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I am, but not via RF, via Scart - can you elaborate on what problems you are having?

3. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    I am using a scart lead

Alek

4. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    I've only ever managed to get a pretty shocking picture via RF

5. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005

Advertisements

Do you mean the VTX-D800U? ISTR it only outputs over SCART, not RF, so if you want to use both Freeview and a Sky/Freesat box you'll need to get an external RF modulator.

6. Johnbyte

Johnbyte New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    I don't think this will help you. What is a suitable RF channel will vary depending on what transmitter catchment area you're in. Take a look at this site - it may help you find a free channel: http://www.kat5.tv/taboo_guide.html

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Unfortunately cheap standalone SCART to RF modulators tend to have shockingly bad picture quality and in the case of the one I had it also turned up its toes completely after about 18 months.

8. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    As DX30 says the RF output on the Sony VTX is a pass-thru connection only. If you want to get a picture into your TiVo you will have to use a RF modulator. Maplin and Kenable (amongst others) do them, or I use an old VCR recorder which has scart in and rf out. (uses about 12W vs. about 0.5W for a 'standard' modulator).

9. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...
    Thanks for the responses. I have been using my Tivo with the Sony freeview box for nearly 8 years, it is connected with a scart lead, and it works fine, and all my connections to TV etc are by scart lead. Due to the demise of Tivo EPG, I have gone over to Altepg via dial up and downloaded the new EPG. During set up you are asked to select an RF carrier channel between the Tivo and the TV and between the set top box and the TV and a screen comes up for you select an rf channel between the set top box and TV, despite the fact tyhat a scart connector is being used. You scroll through the channels until you see a picture and then operate the remote of the set top box to see if the channel picture changes. In my case it does not no matter what channel I select the picture will not change despite manually operating the channel change button on the set top box. As a result I cannot get a "live" picture via Tivo
    I have disconnected the Freeview box from Tivo and plugged directly into the AV socket on the TV with a scart connector and its works fine with live tv etc and channel changing. However when connected through Tivo in the same way as it has always been set, I cannot see live TV. Normally when system set up is gone through, any settings previously used are retained but I must have altered something during the process. I believe it may be something to do with the screen used to set the RF channels but am not sure. A solution would be very much appreciated.

10. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...
    Thanks for the responses. I have been using my Tivo with the Sony freeview box for nearly 8 years, it is connected with a scart lead, and it works fine, and all my connections to TV etc are by scart lead. Due to the demise of Tivo EPG, I have gone over to Altepg via dial up and downloaded the new EPG. During set up you are asked to select an RF carrier channel between the Tivo and the TV and between the set top box and the TV and a screen comes up for you select an rf channel between the set top box and TV, despite the fact tyhat a scart connector is being used. You scroll through the channels until you see a picture and then operate the remote of the set top box to see if the channel picture changes. In my case it does not no matter what channel I select the picture will not change despite manually operating the channel change button on the set top box. As a result I cannot get a "live" picture via Tivo
    I have disconnected the Freeview box from Tivo and plugged directly into the AV socket on the TV with a scart connector and its works fine with live tv etc and channel changing. However when connected through Tivo in the same way as it has always been set, I cannot see live TV. Normally when system set up is gone through, any settings previously used are retained but I must have altered something during the process. I believe it may be something to do with the screen used to set the RF channels but am not sure. A solution would be very much appreciated.

11. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    It sounds like you choose the wrong option during guided setup. Do you get lots of channels on unusual numbers (e.g. multiple BBC regions on channel 101)? If so you have choosen Freeview + Sky where Freeview is RF input and Sky is SCART. Another way to tell is to check System Information and look at the Program Source (1) and (2).

Try rerunning guided setup and make sure you choose Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial.

12. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...
    I agree with your initial analysis, particularly as I did get multiple BBC regions although I am not sure if it was on channel 101 but I have checked and have selected Aerial +Digital cable.

13. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    If you have definitely choosen Aerial + Digital Cable / Digital Terrestrial it isn't what I thought. You will be asked for an RF Output channel (I use 69) but shouldn't be asked for an RF Input channel. That question is asked for dual Freeview / Sky setups so I don't know why you would get that with the Aerial + Digital Cable. Other than rerunning Guided Setup I don't know what to suggest.

Edit: Here is a summary of what I would expect to see during a Freeview Guided Setup.

Displays Welcome to TiVo + Service Terms
    Asks for RF Output channel - I enter 69
    Asks for Program Source - I choose Aerial + Digital Cable / Digital Terrestrial
    Asks for Post Code - I enter 01000
    Asks for Phone Dialing Options - I set Dial Prefix to 08450800300
    Displays Setup Call (10-20 min) - I wait for download etc to complete
    Asks for Service Provider - I choose Freeview Digital UK
    Asks for Service Package - I choose Freeview
    Displays Scanning Channel 0
    Asks for Channels you Receive - I tick those I get
    Asks for Set-Top Box Brand - I choose the one I want
    Displays Programme Call (20-30 min) - I wait for download etc to complete
    Displays various messages saying you need to wait before you can record anything and Congratulations, please press TiVo button.

How and where does it differ for you?

14. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...
    Replybto dx30
    All of the procedures are identical to as you show but when going through the set up call process it within one second goes through the " importing " aspect in about 1 sec and the indexing aspect in about the same time and gives me a tick against each item. It is then exactly the same as you show up until "asks for channels you recieve" which I ticknetc and then the next screen is called "set top box rf output" this shows channels 21 to (I think) channel 70 with a tick against channel 21 and a comment "no signal". You then change the channels until you see a picture in the background and check that if you manually change channels on the set top box that the background picture changes. in my case it does not. " i know however that the set top box works fine and simply by plugging directky into an Av channel on the Tv it works fine. No matter which channel you change to it always reverts to channel 21 with " no signal".
    The rest of the process is identical to how you show it.

15. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Hmm, I can only reiterate what DX30 said. To be asked that question you must have selected dual source input. I can't see any other way you would be asked for the RF input channel.

Make sure you select "Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"
    and not "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"

They look very similar but the second is dual source and not what you want!

16. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    I've gone through it, and definitely only get asked for an RF output channel.

17. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...
    Thanks once again for the comments. There is no doubt though but I am selecting the correct option ie aerial + digital cable. i have gone through it 6 times now and each time I am being asked for the rf channel between the set top box and the Tivo. One thing has occured to me that perhaps for whatever the reason the Tivo is not receiving the scart signal from the set top box. it is difficult to see how this can happen as it is wired in exactly the same way as before I downloaded Altepg and I know the set top box is sending a signal via the scart as checks out when connected directly to the TV. I need to look at some more things but it does not make sense.

18. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    This should just cause the TiVo to display a message saying there is no video signal from the scart, so I don't think that is the problem.

It won't give you a working system but as an experiment you could try a guided setup and choose "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial". This will setup for two different sources so will try both scart (Satellite) and RF input (Digital Terrestrial). If your scart is wired up correctly you should see a picture when it tries to setup the Satellite bit.

At least that should tell you if the scart connection is working OK and you can then try "Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial" again knowing it isn't a wiring issue.

19. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Try what DX30 suggests.

Also, let's back up a step for a minute: in post #9 you said
    Please can you expand on what you mean by that? Did you download an AltEPG image? Have you re-imaged your disc (and if so, which method did you use)?

20. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...
    No, I have kept the original tivo images and downloaded via dial up the new altepg ie I have not re imaged the disc