Sony Vegas template that renders playable HD vids on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by willbldrco, Jul 23, 2010.

1. willbldrco

willbldrco New Member

Jul 23, 2010

Advertisements

I have a Sony camcorder that records in 1080i MPEG-2 format which I import into Sony Vegas for rendering to DVD, Blu-Ray, and, now, TiVo! Finding the correct rendering parameters was a PITA, but the end result finally works and looks fantastic on my 50" plasma via my TiVo Premier LX over TiVo Desktop plus.

Following is the Vegas workflow for setting up a TiVo friendly template. Once this template is set-up and saved, all you have to do is use the template to create future TiVo friendly HD videos!

1. Load your video in Sony Vegas
    2. Render your video via File -> Render As
    3. In the "File name" field, pick a name to save as
    4. In the "Save as type" field, select "MainConcept MPEG-2..."
    5. For the "Template" pull-down, use "MPEG-2 1080i-60i" (I find this displays the move smooth on my Plasma TV - progressive "p" options actually look jittery!)
    6. Click the "Custom..." button
    7. A pop-up will appear with the "Video" tab selected. Choose "MPEG-2" from the "Output type" pulldown
    8. Click the "Audio" tab
    9. Ensure the "Include audio stream" check box is selected
    10. Set "Audio mode" to "Stero Mode"
    11. Set "Psychoacoustic model" to "Psychoacoustic Model 2"
    12. Set "Audo layer" to "Audio Layer 1"
    13. Set "Bit rate(Kbps)" to "256" (or 128. For some reason non-power of two values either don't work or cause the audio to stutter)
    14. Set "Emphasis" to "No emphasis (default)"
    15. Set "Sample rate (Hz)" to "48,000"
    16. In the "Template" field at the top, give this template a name like "MPEG-2 1080-60i Works on TiVo" and then click the little floppy disk icon to the right of the field to save this template for future use
    17. At the bottom of the window, click "Ok"
    18. The pop-up window with go away. Click "Save" in the "Render As" window and let your video render

Once rendered, you'll want to make sure the video has a .mpg extension. Often Vegas will give it a m2t extension which will cause TiVo to ignore the file.

Then either place the rendered vid in your "My TiVo Recordings" folder or have TiVo Desktop Plus export the folder which contains your video. Once done, you should see your computer on your TiVo's now playing list which you can browse to find your rendered video. Play and enjoy. :)

Will

2. xtivoox

xtivoox New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    not bad for your first post

3. Nugent

Nugent New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the mpeg2 template.

Now, how about a mp4 Vegas template that a series 3 can play without transcoding?

4. winnw

winnw New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Thank you, thank you, thank you , for finally giving me a way to watch my Sony Camcorder video through Tivo and not having to hook up the camera to the Big screen.