Sony Tv Causing My Tivo To Freeze

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pashasurf7873, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1 of 188
    pashasurf7873

pashasurf7873 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hawaii

Advertisements

SONY Tv Causing My Tivo To Freeze I have a S3 for my sony kdr50xbr and after a week of HD bliss, it kept freezing when i would turn the tv on in the morning, so after 2 days of that i used exclusively component, thinking the problem was with hdmi. the problem persisted, tivo sent a new box and after a week the same problem started to occur. It only happens when i turn the TV on, leading me to beleive the issue is related to the hdcp 'handshake' process.
    There was an earlier forum with others with Sony TV's who were reporting this same issue.

Anyone out there have any advice or suggestions. i Called tivo and they insist they are not aware of the problem.

2. Jan 3, 2007 #2 of 188
    Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    This is a dumb question perhaps, but might it have something to do with the way you're turning your TV on? Might it be a conflicting remote control signal of some sort?

3. Jan 4, 2007 #3 of 188
    bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    What makes you think it's the Sony TV? Have you tried hooking it up to another TV to see if the problem goes away? The fact that it remains even when you switched from HDMI to Component makes it seem a little less likely.

4. Jan 4, 2007 #4 of 188
    pashasurf7873

pashasurf7873 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hawaii
    The freezing problem happens about every other time i turn the TV on, with remote or manually. the reason i think its my Sony is because it ONLY happens when i turn my TV on and because in another forum there were 3 other posters with the same problem and they all have SONY TV's.
    PS When my S3 freezes, it does not respond to either the S3 remote or when I use the buttons on the face of the S3. The only way to recover the S3 is to unplug it.

5. Jan 4, 2007 #5 of 188
    bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

I had that same thing happen a couple of times on another S3. I swapped out the box and it hasn't happened since. I do indeed have a Sony TV but I didn't necessarily make the correlation between the two. I felt it was a bad box or bad cable cards. I still have two S3 boxes connected to the same Sony TV via HDMI and no problems at all.

Kinda makes me feel like the TV wasn't the problem. At least not in my case. I posted about the problem here on the forum and while others had experienced the problem, nobody had tied the problem to the Sony TV. It might just be statistical coincidence in that Sony probably sells more TV sets than anyone and therefore it might follow that people with that issue would run into other people with that issue who also happen to own Sony TV's. Just a coincidence. It may freeze with any brand of TV. That's why I was asking if you had tried another brand of TV to see if the problem goes away. If it persists then you have a problem not related to the Sony TV. Just something to think about.

If the new box freezes up like that again I'll update my post here. I really have a gut feeling it was due to my box having a jammed card connector and an old style Cable Card. Once he got me all the same type of "newer" cable cards (think they are the "green ones") installed in my new box, the problem seemed to dissappear.

6. Jan 4, 2007 #6 of 188
    George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    I am using a S3 with my Sony SXRD R60XBR1 hooked up via HDMI without any issues.

UPDATE: Scratch that. I was hit with this issue as well. See post #19 below. :(

7. Jan 4, 2007 #7 of 188
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Isn't it Sony TVs that were getting Series 2 video in black and white? Or maybe it was Sony VCRs that were recording in black and white off Series 2 TiVos?

8. Jan 4, 2007 #8 of 188
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I have a Sony Wega, no freeze up problems for me.

9. Jan 4, 2007 #9 of 188
    talkingtiki

talkingtiki New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Could it be a voltage drop on the powerup of the TV? I would try plugging the tivo or tv in via an extension cord to another outlet on another circuit and try it again. My other thought would be some sort of magnetic interference on the powerup screwing with the tivo. Try moving the tivo a few feet away from the tv and see what happens.

10. Jan 5, 2007 #10 of 188
    pashasurf7873

pashasurf7873 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hawaii
    thanks for the replies. i'm more baffled than before. maybe my sony has some bug, cause i had the same problem with 2 series 3's. but my xbox360 and oppo dvd player are not affected by it.
    regarding the power supply, i have it running through a Monster reference power center 3500, so that seems unlikely. i will try a new outlet just in case.

SO NO ONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM??

11. Jan 5, 2007 #11 of 188
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    I'd say it's a power problem. I'd suggest getting a cheap ($40) UPS, not surge surpressor, and putting the Tivo on that. This way you'll avoid any drops or spikes in power, and it's a good idea anyway.

The Monster Power Center's just a glorified surge surpressor, and can't deal with poer drops, it just cleans the power.

12. Jan 6, 2007 #12 of 188
    pashasurf7873

pashasurf7873 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hawaii
    i'll try that, thanks. i guess there's not too many other sony tv/tivo s3 with this problem. so frustrating.

13. Jan 6, 2007 #13 of 188
    T-Shee

T-Shee Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I would try removing the HDMI connection from the TV (reconnect the S3 to the TV using ONLY the component cables that shipped with the S3). If you still get the freeze-up, you can eliminate the HDMI as the culprit.

It's very weird. A ground-loop that spikes on startup?

What else is connected to the TV? You may need to eliminate all other devices, ie remove CD/DVD player, game system, etc. to narrow this down. Do you still have a cable box with a connection to the TV? for example.

I've seen some weird ground-loop problems with HT setups that were traceable back to the cable system.

14. Jan 6, 2007 #14 of 188
    skydivewags

skydivewags New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SD
    How do you know it is locking up when you turn the TV on???? Maybe the TiVo is locked up before you turn on the TV.

Like another poster suggested, hook up another TV to it. I would just get a small TV, and hook it up through another output, and turn it on first, see if it is locked up, then turn on the Sony.

I find it highly unlikely that the display device is causing anything to happen.

15. Jan 6, 2007 #15 of 188
    devildog80

devildog80 New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    I have a Series 3 and Sony 60" Flat Screen projection. It worked well for a week and now every time I power off, when I power back up, all I have is snow on the screen. The only thing that works is powering off the TiVo and TV and power back up, resetting TiVo. All of my components are on a surge surpressor.

I can't figure it out

16. Jan 6, 2007 #16 of 188
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Next time it does it... try unplugging the hdmi cable and then plugging it back in. Of course Im assuming you are using HDMI.

17. Jan 6, 2007 #17 of 188
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    That's an HDMI problem with the TV (rarely seen with Sony's). What model TV?

18. Jan 6, 2007 #18 of 188
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I have the exact same problem with HDMI. For some reason when the TV Powers up it can cause the TiVo to hang. I changed to Component with audio via the TOS Link and the problem went away. I guess that means it cannot be a power issue or a conflicting remote command.

I needed the HDMI for Blu-Ray at 1080p any way and as the TiVo is only 1080i the Component connection is fine.

19. Jan 7, 2007 #19 of 188
    George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    I spoke too soon. I was hit with this issue the other day. There is another thread on this issue here (started on 11-30-2006) where I posted about it...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=329343&page=1&pp=30

Check out Warlord46's post here where he mentions a workaround...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4684276&&#post4684276

These threads should probably be merged.

20. Jan 7, 2007 #20 of 188
    pashasurf7873

pashasurf7873 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hawaii
    sorry to hear that, I've been in contact with warlord, unfortunately his workaround doesn't seem to work for me. We need to somehow make Tivo aware of this frustrating issue, when i call they say they haven't heard of it (right!).
    i'll keep trying different setups and report back. I have noticed it happens less often if I use just component, but not a total fix.
    Aloha