Sony SVR-3000 Versus Humax or Tvo brand.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Maverik, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Maverik

Maverik New Member

Apr 30, 2002

Advertisements

I am looking for spec information on the Sony SVR-3000. Or perhpas someone already knows the answer to my question.

Does the sony svr-3000 have a better encoding chip then the humax? I have a Humax DVD TIVO and the quality at highest rating is not that good. I also have a Sony SVRT-2000 and quality of pic is GREAT.

From reading these boards i see they changed the encoding chip on humax and Tivo.

So did all Series 2 change chips?

Mike

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, the SVR-3000 is an older design than the Humax and current model TiVos and was assembled by Sony in Japan. It may be slightly better than newer models, but I doubt there is much difference.

3. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    I have an SVR-3000 as well as a newer TiVo "540" unit. The picture quality on the SVR-3000 is dramatically better than the TiVo branded unit (the 2 units are on different TV's, but of similiar quality). I asked a very similiar question a few months back and the response from this community was that Sony used a higher quality tuner.

Other threads that I have read indicate that the TiVo units are very sensitive to the incoming signal, and that a Cable TV amplifier may help the situation. I am currently exploring that option to see what model would best fit my needs.

Here is the link to the other post that I am referring to:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=279934