Sony Series 1 Sound Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Satellite Guy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Satellite Guy

Satellite Guy New Member

Jul 12, 2006

Advertisements

I keep losing the sound from my source signal. The unit itself still makes sfx, but there is no audio. It's been sporadic over the years, usually I only had to change the channel to regain the audio and once in awhile I need to unplug it. Over the last few days I've had to unplug each day it to get sound any ideas on the issue or a hack around it.

Thanks in advance SG

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It would help to know ....

* what's your signal source?
    * how is that source connected to your Tivo?
    * how is the Tivo connected to your TV?
    * brand/model Tivo?

3. Satellite Guy

Satellite Guy New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    It's a Sony SVR 2000, Cable Input on the RF, Satellite using Composite, the Output is composite going to a modulator then through out the house. I eliminated the modulator, still only sfx, same when I switch to S-Vid. I didn't try the RF out becuse it's no use to me that way. Again the only sound I get is just the Tivo indicators, no audio from either source/

4. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Does it matter if you're watching/recording your Cable channels or the Satellite Receiver? What happens if you bypass the Tivo and connect directly to a TV?

The key here is to rule out your video sources and narrow down the problem to one thing, perhaps the Tivo.

5. Satellite Guy

Satellite Guy New Member

Jul 12, 2006

Advertisements

That was a given, I should have been more specific, I've ruled out everything but Tivo. I can be watching live thru it and the sound will drop out. When it's in this state if it records there is no sound either. As I said only the sfx is heard so the output seems to be working. I assume it's something with the input, since it happens with both the RF and Composite.

6. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yep, you've pretty well narrowed it down to the Tivo. It's probably a motherboard issue which would be just about impossible to fix yourself.