Sony Resets when Playback attempted

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JDSchuster, Apr 16, 2006.

1. JDSchuster

JDSchuster New Member

Apr 16, 2006

Advertisements

This morning when I tried to record last nights baseball game to a VHS tape the Sony died and rebooted. It said nothing had been recorded.....so I deleted the game and tried another one.....died again....tried a recording that I knew was there (had watched it once) and got the same thing! Tried restarting from the Set up menu....no help. The DTV function seams to be fine...gets all the channels and is recording (red light) like there is no problem.

From reading the forum...and I am new...sounds like I have a dead hard disk. Its a Weakknees from a couple of years ago and I plan to call them tomorrow. Now the real rub: I've got at least 100 hours of very important stuff on this TiVo and I am really lothe to lose it! Is there any hope? Captain Picard needs my input daily.

Thanks for your time.

J

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Is your DVR a Sony SAT-T60? The symptom is bit puzzling .... are you saying that "Live TV" works fine, but the box resets as soon as you try playing a recording? This is a bit odd because there's really very little difference between "Live TV" and recordings .... even "Live TV" is viewed through the DVR's buffer.

Try this .... while watching "Live TV", press pause for a minute or so. Now press Play again. Now you're watching a recording delayed by one minute through the DVR's record buffer. Does this work OK?

3. JDSchuster

JDSchuster New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    As time went on, I started having trouble with "live" DTV also...would stutter and freeze but never reset.

I just now tried pausing it and it worked fine. I then did a hard reset....unplugged for 20 minutes and plugged back in and so far it is working again....but I am terrified! I know its going to die soon.

Is there anyway to recover the contents of a hard drive? I have read about services that can recover a hard drive sometimes, for the right price, of course.

J

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  5. JDSchuster

JDSchuster New Member

Apr 16, 2006

Advertisements

My current unit is a Weakknees upgrade. I will call them and set up a switch out.

Thanks.

J