Sony KP-61HS10 and HDTivo Problem

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Jaboo, May 15, 2004.

1. May 15, 2004 #1 of 214
    Jaboo

Jaboo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Lipan TX

Advertisements

I've had the same problem in the past with other receivers. I had bought the Toshiba DST-3000 (I think) a couple of years ago when it first came out. Basically on 1080i displays with bright screens, the video TV would cut out and try to change displays, like it lost the signal. Well now that I've hooked it up to the new HD Tivo, it does this at all resolutions. Anyone experiencing this? I'm almost certain it's the TV. All Sony equipement works just fine while plugged into Video 5, but nothing else does.

I did dig thru forums back then and supposidly there was a fix. The TV was still under warranty at that point, they sent a tech out and my TV already had the new part, he replaced it anyway, but it didn't fix the issue.

Any ideas? Looks like I'll be taking this back to the Circuit City in Cedar Hill TX if anyone wants it.....

2. May 15, 2004 #2 of 214
    david(dallas)

david(dallas) New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sorry to here you problem from a Fellow Dallas area HD fan. I have the Sony GWII 50" and I haven't had that issue. When you change from 480p and 1080i while checking out PQ, it seems to take a couple of seconds to switch. But I think that is normally. When I do this on a frozen picture, then press play, the screen goes snowy for a couple of seconds, then kicks in.

I don't think that is what you are talking about though..

David in Plano

3. May 15, 2004 #3 of 214
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    My Sony KV-40XBR800 seems to work fine with my receiver. It's able to synch quickly to any of the HR10-250's resolution formats.

I agree it sounds like an issue with your Sony. Since they tried to fix it under warranty and couldn't, perhaps you can raise the issue again with Sony Support and insist they make it right.

4. May 15, 2004 #4 of 214
    ANSEK

ANSEK Senior Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Boynton...
    I have the same TV and the same problem. The only difference I had it fixed when I bought my HD200. It work fine until I got the HD TiVo. I believe the TV is the main culprit but the HD TiVo is exacerbating the issue.

5. May 15, 2004 #5 of 214
    kevinkrohn

kevinkrohn New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Ladera...

Advertisements

This is DEFINITELY your TV. I have the same set and had the same "flashing" problem. It is a known problem with the set and Sony needs to fix it. I fought long and hard with them to get mine fixed and paid for. It was out of warranty but obviously a problem that was with the set from day 1. The service bulletin is No. 442R3. If they give you any BS (which they will), don't give up. They need to replace the "A" board. It will be about $600-800 if they don't cover it. Best of luck. It was a nightmare for me. They originally tried to do some other fix on the circuit board by taking my set apart and into the shop. NO DICE. They had my set for weeks. The A Board fix can be done by you and in minutes. Here is the number to the service tech. who I talked to, John: 239-768-7600x6719.
    He will know about it. You likely will have to call another number first however to get a service ticket number. Again, best of luck!

6. May 15, 2004 #6 of 214
    pinballfan

pinballfan Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Nashua, NH, USA
    Oh *#$%#$!

Just hooked mine up today and I guess my Sony KP-57XBR10W has the same issue. When the scene changes it often drops its lock on the signal. Seems to be most prevelant during commercials, but happens during movies etc as well.

Anyone else have that particular TV? Do you have this problem as well??

I guess I'll try to track down Sony support on Monday.

-- Doug

7. May 15, 2004 #7 of 214
    Jaboo

Jaboo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Lipan TX
    Hey thanks soooo much for the detailed info! I guess I'll keep the unit and give them a call Monday. I'll fight them tooth and nail over this. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again!

8. May 16, 2004 #8 of 214
    pinballfan

pinballfan Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Nashua, NH, USA
    Well I just tried an on-line chat with a support rep. Boy, talk about a waste of time.

He claimed every issue they know about is posted on their website and pointed me to a search page where only 2 TV related issues are posted (2 issues for all Sony TVs ever produced!) Yeah, they post everything...

Perhaps that was all HE knew....

I tried calling John and got his voice mail. (Yes he identified himself as "John" in the VM greeting.) I'll try again Monday duing business hours.

--
    kevinkrohn, I don't suppose you know the part # of the board that needs to be replaced do you? Since I bought my TV in November of 2000 I am not too optimistic about getting them to foot the bill for the part. It does look like I might be able to order the board if I know the details.
    --
    Jaboo, did you say you had this problem at all resolutions? When I set the Tivo to output 480i I don't see the issue anymore. I recorded Harry Potter tonight and the scene when Hagrid knocks down the door to see Harry (near the beginning of the movie) caused it to flicker several times at 1080i, but not at all at 480i.

-- Doug

9. May 16, 2004 #9 of 214
    ANSEK

ANSEK Senior Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Boynton...
    I am now convinced the HD TiVo is exacerbating the problem. I had the fix outlined in Service Buliten 442R3 back in November of '02. When I watch a program on the HD TiVo the screen flashes with sudden dark to bright transitions. When I watch the same program on the HD200 it does not flash.

10. May 16, 2004 #10 of 214
    Flepper

Flepper New Member

May 10, 2004
    Pope AFB, NC
    I have this problem, too.

The Sony Service bulletin can be found at:

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/2/TVP0442-607.pdf

I have the extended warranty from CC and will see if they will fix this. If it costs $600-$800, I bet I'm in for a fight.

I noticed that while watching UPN last night the pictue would start to blur near the top of the display, and then the screen would go black momentarily. I don't believe this is the TV, as 1080i does not appear on the screen when the picture comes back on.

11. May 16, 2004 #11 of 214
    Jaboo

Jaboo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Lipan TX
    Well, I had left it on 480i and told the wife to watch it and let me know while I mowed, she said it 'dropped', I'll double check today. I also watched Harry Potter last night and it constantly dropped at 1080i, I'm talking every 5 to 10 minutes.

12. May 16, 2004 #12 of 214
    pinballfan

pinballfan Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Nashua, NH, USA
    Thanks for the link Flepper,

Unfortunately that bulletin doesn't list my model #. Worse yet it suggests that boards built after July 2000 would not have this issue. Since my set was built in November 2000 it doesn't look good...

Can folks please post their TV model #s and build dates so we can see if we can find a connection?

Ansek,

You say you already had the fix applied? Did it solve a problem you were having at the time with another DTV tuner or DVD player?

-- Doug

13. May 16, 2004 #13 of 214
    ANSEK

ANSEK Senior Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Boynton...
    Doug,

Yes, I had the fix outlined in Sony Service Bulletin 442R3 applied to my KP61-HS10 in November of '02 and it fixed the problem when using my SAT-HD200. The HD TiVo appears to be sending information in a different manner causing the flash.

If this continues and it comes down to having HD TiVo with flashing and HDTV with no flashing. I choose to ditch the HD TiVo.

I am not saying the TV is blameless but it works perfect with my HD200 so the HD TiVo must be doing something wrong.

14. May 16, 2004 #14 of 214
    pinballfan

pinballfan Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Nashua, NH, USA
    As much as it pains me I think I'll have to agree on both counts....

-- Doug

15. May 16, 2004 #15 of 214
    Jaboo

Jaboo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Lipan TX
    This really sux. So we may have to get a HW upgrade for the TV plus wait on DTV to send a software update that only affects certain TVs? The odds aren't looking so good....:(

16. May 16, 2004 #16 of 214
    kevinkrohn

kevinkrohn New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Ladera...
    I guarantee you it is the TV only. When mine had the problem, it would only be affected by certain scenes and only on 1080i until they tried to perform the transistor fix. Then it happened on DVDs as well. The A board replacement COMPLETELY solved the problem on all inputs. I have NEVER seen another 'flash' since the fix was completed two years ago. Make them replace the board. The TIVO is not to blame. As for the HD200, it may not induce flashing, I used an HD100 when I had the issue, but that doesn't make the TIVO defective.

17. May 16, 2004 #17 of 214
    Jaboo

Jaboo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Lipan TX
    Well with the help of an Ex Sony Repairman, I'm gonna try to replace these parts myself. I'm off to Radio Shack to get them now. I'll keep everyone posted.

18. May 16, 2004 #18 of 214
    ANSEK

ANSEK Senior Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Boynton...
    kevin,

Are you saying that you have a HD TiVo connected to an HS10 series TV and you do not have flashing? If you do not have an HD TiVo yet, I would like to see if your replaced A board holds up better than my fixed A board. I have used three different 1080i sources with my TV since my A board was fixed, HD200, Xbox (enter the Matrix) and HD TiVo. Only the HD TiVo causes the TV to flash. I can watch the begining of CSI and CSI: MIAMI with all of the bright white flashes without a problem on my HD200. I can't even watch Minority Report on my HD TiVo without flashing. As I mentioned before, I am not holding the TV blameless but, I do believe the HD TiVo is outputing 1080i in a manner different from any other 1080i source I have used with my TV.

19. May 17, 2004 #19 of 214
    kevinkrohn

kevinkrohn New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Ladera...
    I totally agree that it is outputting 1080i in a different manner, just not likely a defective manner. My HDTIVO comes on Wednesday but it is going to be connected to my Sharp 10000 front projector to be used in my theatre room (with my 123" Stewart screen!). I have used both my HD200 and my HD100 on the set with no problems after the board was replaced. Due to the set-up of the 61HS10 and the difficulty in connecting the TIVO, I will not be able to test it for you. I guess all I can say is what worked for me. The fix did not work, but the board replacement totally cured the problem. Best of luck!!

20. May 17, 2004 #20 of 214
    Jambo

Jambo New Member

May 17, 2004
    I also have the 57XBR10W and had a jitter issue when on Video 5 using component. Under warranty (just barely), I got them to replace the "A" board and haven't had a problem since then.