Sons of Anarchy - "To Be, Part 2" - 12/6/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by VegasVic, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1 of 47
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I thought it was an ok finale. Disappointed Clay lives and Tara stays but should be an interesting, somewhat new direction next season.

Loved Juice watching The Shield in jail :up:

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 47
    tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Wow. I thought there would be a "somebody's playing somebody" twist to keep enough people alive and out of jail to still have a show, but I didn't see the CIA thing coming! Looking back, Tara in the van was clearly a snatch not a hit.

I would have thought Jax would need to tell Ope more to keep him from blowing Clay away. Ope not showing up means this will be an issue next year.

And they can end next season with Jax needing to to stay so he can take the club straight like daddy wanted.

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was strange Jax didn't come clean with Opie...he really NEEDS Ope on his side, and kinda blew his chance.

That scene at the table was very powerful.

I really really REALLY wanted Clay to die, but this is almost better...he's completely destroyed now. And Gemma's not doing much better. Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple!

The CIA thing came completely out of the blue for me, and yet it so neatly tied up so many loose ends (so early in the episode!) and fits in with everything that's gone on before that I am yet again blown away by how beautifully these people (the writers) plan things out.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 47
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I spelled Anarchy wrong and it won't let me edit it. Damn lol. I agree Opie will be a problem next year, that's good. And the Oakland thing will be a problem and the Irish will still be in the mix. Although I wanted Clay killed I guess it will be interesting to see how he does NOT being Prez. I can't see him being a model member. But Tara staying? I get the whole Tara/Gemma conflict over Jax but I wish they would just both go away.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #5 of 47
    Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Got it.

6. Dec 7, 2011 #6 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  7. Dec 7, 2011 #7 of 47
    chronatog7

chronatog7 Ill 'Gotten Gains!

Aug 26, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    So based on the picture at the end, which it was cool, can we assume history will repeat itself. Opie kills Jax and takes Tara?

On a serious note, I felt the finale was a soft reset button with the CIA stuff. For me it was a little of a let down from a great season.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #8 of 47
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Clay didn't get killed but other than that, I can live with how things played out. Clay is a great character and Ron Perlman does an excellent job playing him. There should be lots of tension between him and Jax next year.

I guess Jax can just take the presidency with no vote or explanation.

I hoped Opie would walk through that door at the last minute but those damn broads kept showing up. The Tara/Gemma/Wendy triangle will probably become tiresome next year. I really hope they decrease the Gemma as puppeteer angle next season.

There was speculation that Romeo might be a goy't mole but I didn't see both of them being CIA agents coming.

Juice watching The Shield. There was also the actor who played The Shield's Ronnie as a federal agent. I don't think he got any lines on this show either.

How does the seating arrangement at The Table work? The president at the head, the seargent at arms to the right and the vice president to the left?

The show dipped its toe into race relations this season. Looks like it'll fully dive in next season with the Niners and Oakland's #1 crime boss coming after SAMCRO.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #9 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I doubt Gemma's role will decrease significantly...there are advantages to sleeping with the boss. :D

(Katey Sagal & Kurt Sutter are married.)

10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    After digesting it for a few hours I guess I'm more disappointed than I was originally. I enjoyed the season and there was a great build up with Clay and Jax but at the end of the day Clay got demoted. And Tara stayed. Bleh.

11. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Neither Sepinwall nor Mo Ryan were happy with the finale.

12. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    Damn total darkness scenes blew it for me.

Turn some lights on!!!!

13. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I am both happy and disappointed there wasn't a spectacular cliff hanger this year. I didn't see the CIA thing coming either. But, it will be interesting to see how that plays out next year.

I am VERY disappointed though that Jax didn't fill Opie in at least a little bit about what was going on. He could have said.... Clay killed my father too, and I want him dead, but I got this thing that has to be done and I need Clay for that... when that is done, we can kill him... or something like that. He could have had Opie on his side. Now he doesn't and it is likely going to be a major issue.

Oh that US Attorney dude, cracked me up at the end. Him dumping all that sex stuff on the table and floor. I'm really going to miss his character, assuming he's not back next season.

14. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Whole thing just didn't make sense to me.

The CIA thing seemed to come out of left field.

The Irish not willing to deal with anyone but Clay, just BS. If Clay is dead, they aren't going to kill the deal.

Jax was ready to use the syringe to kill Clay, then Clay comes to and now he's not going to kill him because he needs him?

Doesn't mean it wasn't good television, but just seemed too loose to me.

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    So is Clay going to take Piney's seat and just sit there doing nothing like Piney pretty much did over the course of the first several seasons?

Did anyone get a "you're my ***** now" vibe between Terra and Gemma at the end there?

Nice to see Chibs get a promotion.

Still one of the best shows on TV!

16. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    They tossed clues out that the cartel guys weren't all kosher. The kidnap vs. hit thing and last week when they said that Otto had flipped but their "sources" reported that no dirt on the club had been revealed. I sure didn't expect it was CIA, I figured it was more law enforcement and the club was in big trouble.

Considering the last few week's buildup looked more like a series finale coming up, they did an Ok job coming up with ways to keep things going. There will be more secret deals going on next year than they can shake a stick at. Clay, looking beat and neutered will be scheming on how to get back into power. He may be still at odds with Gemma, but they both want to get back on top.

Since the CIA seems to have the juice to keep both local and federal law enforcement at bay, I can see Jax finding a way to milk that. As long as they're forced into committing crimes for the government they will probably do quite a few to benefit themselves along the way. The club will act amazed that their new president finds ways for them to get away with stuff.

I liked the spoiling of the town meeting with the sex toys as visual aids. It was a background story all season and while it didn't advance the main plot along it was interesting. The small town politics will be fun to watch next time as well.

17. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Did Chibs get a promotion? Wasn't Tig closer to Jax at the table, if that means anything?

Did Potter have all those sex toys stashed in a closet in his office?

I can live with a number of implausible things that happened in this episode. After all, it's a soap opera. Gotta keep the drama flowing. But Clay should have been killed. There were too many really good reasons why he needed to get dead for him to escape death and get to hang around with the club next year and cause all kinds of crap.

I still like the show and will definitely watch next season.

18. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Tig began pulling out his usual chair (which had been at Clay's right hand) and Jax stopped him and directed him to the next one over. Then he asked Chibs if he was ok with that, to which Chibs agreed and took that Sargent at Arms seat.

19. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    What a way to wrap an awesome season. I hated last season so much but if that's what we had to endure to get this season, it was worth it IMHO!

Really surprised the Wendy/custody issue didn't have any role in keeping Jax in town.

Can't wait to see how Gemma spins all this to her own advantage. No way do I believe Tara is going to come out a winner over Gemma! And when did Katey get so damned skinny? Holy crap, when she was walking down the hospital hallway after the encounter with Jax she looked like she was about as big around as a pencil. And her face looked really gaunt. I don't remember her always looking like that?

I really liked the interview with Kurt on EW. I especially enjoyed his explanation of the CIA stuff and how it was drawn from real life, whoa!
    ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I think most fans will want to know when you thought of the twist that Romeo and Luis work with the CIA and need SAMCRO to keep working with the cartel and the Irish, who will only get in business with the cartel if Clay is involved.
    KURT SUTTER: From the beginning. I sort of go in with those big arcs knowing what I want to do and how I’m gonna do it. Then really, it’s about breaking the episodes down and hanging the meat on the bones and creating the story to get there organically. I thought people would pick up on it. If you go back and look at all those scenes with Romeo and Luis and the guys, it all fits. It all makes sense. Even from the second episode when they suddenly just showed up outside of that reservation saying, “Hey, yeah, we got word on the pipeline that you guys were here.” Clearly they found out these guys were in trouble and they needed them around, so they sort of showed up and shut down the Russians. So all those clues were there all along, and it’s exactly what happened with Pablo Escobar. It’s what the CIA does. It goes in and empowers one cartel. We give one set of bad guys the money and guns to ultimately have some hold of the political reins in a territory. The history was there, and I was afraid that somebody was gonna pick up on it earlier on, and they didn’t. I think it was a fun reveal for everyone.

20. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I was let down too.

Who are they?

My thoughts exactly.