Sonic MyDVD freezes at "Creating Movie"

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by PAPD, Aug 17, 2005.

1. PAPD

PAPD New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    After many hours wasted trying to get MyDvd to work with Tivo Desktop 2.1, I read here that I needed to roll back to TD 2.0. I went into regedit and removed all traces of both Sonic and Tivo and reinstalled MyDvd 6.1 and TD 2.0, and re-transfered my tivo shows from the set-top box to the PC. Now the problem's even worse. Before I could make it to transcoding the video and audio before the program mysteriously crashed; now MyDvd hangs at the "Creating Movie" stage - well before I've even started the burning and transcoding process.

Seems the problem is isolated with Tivo - myDvd will burn data discs and make DVDs just fine from some other (non Tivo) Media Center downloads I've got on the PC.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I've tried Sonic support , but the online ticket I created is sitting there gathering dust, with no one assigned to it. (Appalling. :mad: ) I have to accept that Sonic myDVD is glacially slow and the push of any button appears to result in a full disk defrag, but not to work at all is a bitter pill to swallow after paying full price.

2. wtb

wtb New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    St....
    How many times have you tried? From time to time (actually, fairly often), I would have it hang up, either at building menus or movie. I think I was able to get it to work after editing the video (just doing something minor so that it would save it). I also rebooted the computer and quit the app so it may take several different things.

3. carioca76

carioca76 New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    I am running tivo 2.1.
    The trial version worked okay but even it crashed sometimes.
    With the full version I have been able to transfer tivo files & create a disk image (iso) from them & then come back & burn that iso to a dvd.
    I can't edit the theme, text, movies anymore like I could with the trial version.
    Still waiting to hear back from Sonic for a solution.

4. jujurob

jujurob New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Having same issue with hangup during "Creating Movies" step. I did not have this problem with the trial version, only the one that I stupidly purchased. I've just given up on Sonic, and am buying a DVD recorder.

5. bstoz

bstoz New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I too was extremely furstrated with this software but have found a workaround if you want to spend the time. MyDVD has problems with edited files and will often lock up when transcoding.

I import the file, save it, create an .iso file, unpak the iso, import the video files into MyDVD , then edit and burn them. Using this process I've had a 100% success rate. It's rediculous to have to do this but it works. :mad:

6. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I finally gave up on MyDVD. I deleted and reinstalled the program, and miraculously was able to Burn a DVD from my Tivo file - for the first time. Thought the problem was fixed, and successfully burned 2 DVD's last night. This morning, went to burn my 3rd DVD, and it crashed again. Fortunately, I followed th advice from someone on this board to download the program DirectShow Dump which converted the file, and enabled me to open it with Nero. After MyDVD crashed this morning - again after spending an hour transcoding, I went straight to the Nero sight and downloaded the trial version. Nero had no problem opening the converted file, and I can edit the movie. I'm still a bit skeptical - but decided to burn as many movies/programs as possible through my trial period - and if the crashing problem doesn't materialize I'll gladly pay the $79.99 Nero wants for the full version.

So far, I have one complaint on Nero. In the edit frames, the video image is slow to catch up. Not sure why that happens, but when I move the scroller it seems to lock up if I advance it too many times too quickly.