Son At College with Our Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rrkessler, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1 of 19
    rrkessler

rrkessler Member

Dec 9, 2003

Advertisements

My son is away at college. He loved Tivo when he was home, so my wife is thinking of giving him one of ours from here. We'd still pay for the Tivo service. Is this legit (there would be no change in our service, just his box would end up with a different zip code from the rest of us for 9 months out of the year).

Thanks.

2. Dec 8, 2007 #2 of 19
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    My understanding is that if this is a TiVo that is under a multi-service discount (MSD) then it is not technically allowed to still have the MSD when it is in another area. I've also read that a number of people have done this without any problem and IMO it is still within the spirit of the MSD agreement, if not the letter.

3. Dec 8, 2007 #3 of 19
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The rule clearly exists so that users will not work together to game the MSD system. In this case, I don't think that is the intention. However, I believe TiVo does do random audits to check this out.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #4 of 19
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    It's been working for me and my son since the summer.

5. Dec 8, 2007 #5 of 19
    EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN

Advertisements

I brought my tivo to and from school, and it works out great. I would agree that MSD would not work, but I have never tried that.

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    All Tivos under a MSD need to be tied to the same phone number that's listed on the account. If your son's Tivo is consistently dialing out from a different number then eventually Tivo will discover this and could shut down your son's Tivo. This is to prevent multiple Tivo owners from banding together and pooling their Tivos on a single account to take advantage of the MSD. If you look at it from Tivo, Inc.'s perspective, different phone numbers = different accounts and they will charge you accordingly or shut you down.

7. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    While TiVo would have the right to do something like this, I've never heard of them actually doing so. Can anyone point out a thread on here where someone had this issue? Because if TiVo were doing this to people, Id imagine at least *one* of them would have found their way here to complain, right?

I think TiVo realizes that while this may not be within the letter of the agreement, it is still mostly in the spirit of it, and they do not need to be pushing away otherwise happy customers.

8. rrkessler

rrkessler Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Well, as the original poster on this, I was planning on MSD for it. We both connect via the internet, so there is no phone number dialing at all.

But in any case, it is moot. We have a TIVO that we deactivated about 2 months ago because we upgraded to TIVO HD. We still have the box and I was going to just reactivate it at the 12.95 - $6 and give it to him.

However, the rules on MSD have changed (at least that is how I parse things in these boards and at tivo) to where it is either 9.95 per month for MSD or 99 per year or 299 for 3 years. But that is the going rate as well. So, the MSD doesn't buy me anything because of their sale. So, giving him the Tivo and paying the 299 although more than the 7 per month, still is within shouting distance of it (or if I understand it correctly, we could do 399 and do lifetime).

Thanks all for the answers.
    Bob.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No they don't. They don't have to be tied to any phone number at all. I have two S3's that have never been connected to a phone line -- they use the Internet. (And don't try to tell me that Tivo is checking IP's, either. My IP changes all the time.)

You might be thinking of DirecTV receivers. DirecTV actually does have such a rule, though it's not enforced.

10. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    The good thing about the current MSD pricing structure is the $9.95 only requires a 1 year commitment, whereas the $6.95 before required 3 years. The previous 1-year price was $10.95.

In the case of reactivating a TiVo to give to a college student, that may be a benefit - especially an older TiVo that, who knows, may not last for another 3 years.

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The OP didn't specify which model he has so I just assumed it was an older model that required a phone connection. I haven't owned a SA Tivo since the original HDR-112 until recently (I have two S3's as well) so I don't know which models have the capability to connect via the internet. If you can connect over a network then there shouldn't be a problem except that Tivo, Inc. probably logs the IP addresses.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Why didn't you assume it was the latest model?
    Even if the OP has an older Tivo, everything made in the last 5 years is capable of connecting via broadband.

13. rrkessler

rrkessler Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Sorry I wasn't specific, but we have an S2 (non-dual tuner).

Bob.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It doesn't really matter. Think about it: If Tivo cared about validating MSD status this way, they never would've allowed network connections to displace phone connections, for any model. Just like DirecTV didn't.

As I suspected. :)

There'd be no point, except perhaps for troubleshooting.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if TiVo did actually catch people with MSD at a different location we would have seen a few rant threads by now. The lack of such should answer any questions about this

16. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    I would like to also comment that I have 5 different Tivos all at different locations getting updates and have with no propblems for well over a year now.

17. albrandwood

albrandwood Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually, they did "catch" my family doing it back around XMas 05 ... not that it had any long term affect ...

At the time each kid has their own TiVo at college with them, which put 1 in Pittsburgh, 1 in Philladelphia, as well as our 3 (inc. 2x lifetimes) in NY ... then they added sales tax to NY, so I "moved" the creditcard to one of the addresses in PA, and in the process, it screwed up the account.

In reconcilling the account, and "removing" duplicates, they were able to see the TV listings that each TiVo was requesting, and advised me that what I was doing was "wrong" ... and advised that they would have to remove the two PA boxes from the MSD, and set them up with seperate accounts ... which they proceeded to do ... however, the rep doing it managed to completely screw up all the accounts, and the rep's manager (whilst putting it "back" into working order, and re-associating my TiVo Rewards etc, somehow overlooked the zipcode issue ... and got everything working correctly ...

So I can tell you that they do know where each and every box is ... or at least what zipcode the box is requesting TV listings for ... so they could _EASILY_ require all MSD boxes to be in the same ZipCode ...

The fact that they don't really do it, is beside the point.

@

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well it is not really beside the point for someone thinking of sending a TiVo "offsite" but they can easily see what Zipcode any TiVo is in since they ask for it in guided setup and indeed, all the guide data is based on which Zip code.

Your case is kind of special though since you threw a big red flag on your account by accident. I guess I actually meant if TiVo made a policy of looking for accounts with various Zipcode on a regaular basis and dinging anyone they found

19. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    I'd say its exactly the point.

Your story shows they could easily run a script and send letters to everyone running at different locations without needing in any way to track phone numbers or IP addresses.

The fact that they don't do so, is exactly the point the OP needs to know.

I wouldn't exactly encourage people to flaunt the rules - its not right and its very catchable - but sending a TiVo to a dependent student at college seems perfectly within the point of the thing.