Something weird about TiVo flashing lights issue.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Millionaire2K, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    OK so back in June my spare room TiVo that is only used when guest stay over, got the dreaded flashing lights of death. This TiVo Bolt is under warranty until Aug of 2020 so I was in no rush to call them to have it replaced.

Then in late Oct my TiVo Romeo got a flashing light issue. This TiVo is out of warranty. I thought "RIP" I'll deal with it when I get back from vacation. It's older so I didn't think much of it.

THEN after returning from vacation I called TiVo to opt out of the pre roll ads. The agent said it could take up to 72hrs. So I waited like 5 days and im still getting ads, so on my Main TiVo Vox I decide to run the "check for updates" and none were found but it did dl guide data. I was still getting ads so I thought maybe I had to reset the box. I decide to restart the box. TiVo logo come up and BOOM, FLASHING LIGHTS OF DEATH!!! PS, this box is also still under warranty.

WTH is going on?

I've had Tivo for almost 10 years, I've never had a TiVo go bad. Now in the past 5 months 3 of my 4 TiVos get the flashing lights of death. The odds of this seem to high for it to be normal. What was most odd of the most recent failure was the fact that restarting the box via the menu option caused the issue to appear.

I'm lost and have no clue what is going on. I can't wait to call TiVo and tell then 3 of my 4 boxes all of a sudden crapped out.

Thoughts?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It is most likely running v21.x/Hydra Tivo software. Its very buggy on various fronts.

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Something absolutely does sound pretty strange with those problems - seems like a hell of a coincidence. I totally sympathize with your issues, but unfortunately, I have no idea what might have caused it. Up to this point, this sort of mass failure has not been reported by others, but I know that cannot be much consolation to you. Let's just hope that this is not the first indication of a bigger problem heading our way.

4. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Update: I got this email from TiVo at 3:30pm

""TiVo is sending this courtesy email to notify you that our diagnostics have detected the hard drive in your TiVo BOLT® DVR (TSN:###) may be failing. To minimize the downtime and for you to continue to enjoy your recorded shows, TiVo would like to offer a one- time complimentary replacement TiVo BOLT at no cost to you.

By taking advantage of this offer while your current TiVo BOLT is functional you will be able to transfer your recorded shows to the replacement TiVo BOLT. You can choose not to accept this offer and continue to enjoy using your current TiVo BOLT. If you request to exchange your TiVo BOLT after this offer has expired, you can contact us to review available replacement options and any exchange costs will be based on the warranty status of your TiVo BOLT at the time you contact us to process the exchange. Please note, we aren’t certain the hard drive in your BOLT will fail but in TiVo’s goal of providing the best service possible to our customers, we wanted to give you the option.

This offer is valid through December 15th 2019. If you wish to take advantage of this offer then please contact our TiVo Customer Support team. We have created Case Number ####, please reference this number to our customer service agent and we will be able to assist you.

Thank you!""

If only they alerted me a few days sooner b4 it crashed.

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Interesting. It could be TiVo is concerned about a class action suit because of all the failed drives. Just a heads up, the flashing lights COULD be caused by a bad power supply. So, if you can, either check yours (maybe swap with your other units?) or make sure that TiVo sends you a new one.