Something from Zatz on Hydra "improvements"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mschnebly, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018 #1 of 24
    mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
  2. Nov 8, 2018 #2 of 24
    mschnebly

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    "Recently we did a test with our consumer base. We ran the test for about two weeks. We promoted content essentially for about three free streaming movies. We targeted about 900,000 retail and MSO devices. And the click-through response when we promoted this – these movies was about 12%, almost 100,000 devices. And very importantly, what it did was generate about 1.75 streaming hours per responding device. That’s really significant and this kind of uplift is what content providers look for and that’s why when I was asked the earlier question I said with this solution that we are trying to build we can create some unique capabilities and monetization potential. And so it will be giving us revenue growth through advertising."

I'm guessing quick speed or commercial skip wont get you past these.....

3. Nov 9, 2018 #3 of 24
    TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Free is free, but did they ever test anything for paid-streaming services? You know, regarding the sponsored content.

How many of us would be happy to pay an extra, say, $50 to get rid of all the sponsored content on Encore and I assume Hydra? You know, like a one-time fee to strip the individual DVR of any sponsored content. Any content being ran in which TiVo is receiving compensation.

What irritates me most is when they put ads in the menus. In TiVo Central, sometimes in folders, sometimes after deleting a show. I have a strong dislike for that sort of thing.

4. Nov 9, 2018 #4 of 24
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    It's irritating to purchase a TiVo and then get ads on your box. That being said... It's not like ads pop in there and you're forced to watch them.

It could be far worse. Imagine the ad placement being like the channel update message where you're forced to click out of it. Can't FF through a commercial. Worse still, an EBS style ad placement. <shudder>

My thoughts are ad placement and inserts related to viewing habits or links to view more content related to a movie. Much like a "click here" to watch the 5 minute trailer of the next Marvel Movie.

Now that you've left the main viewing screen you're subject to additional links for upcoming movies staring Downey Jr or Chris Pratt. TiVo click bait?

Everything is subtle now. I don't feel that it's too much. It'll be interesting to see what transpires.

Scooby Doo likes this.
  5. Nov 9, 2018 #5 of 24
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

I would expect this to be like the Kindles with the ability to pay and get ads disabled or get the devices at a slight discount by agreeing to accept the ads that are shown. If that is done, then I don't have a problem. I kind of like the idea of seeing ads that I would hope are targeted to me and my tastes. If they know that I like movies like Austin Powers and they can offer up discounted purchase or rentals of Pink Panther or Johnny English movies, then that could be nice. :up:

mschnebly and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Nov 9, 2018 #6 of 24
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    The issue is they're making the software for the purpose of selling ads, not making a great product for the buyer of said product. This will ultimately ruin Tivo.

For certain now I will never upgrade to Hydra or whatever new software update they do.

7. Nov 9, 2018 #7 of 24
    Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Sad days ahead for TiVo.

coalponfire likes this.
  8. Nov 9, 2018 #8 of 24
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It depends on how obtrusive they are. I know people on here like to complain about the pop-up ads you sometimes get when you hit the pause button, but those have never bothered me at all. I think some people just oppose any ads on principle, not because they are actually bothersome.

HerronScott likes this.
  9. Nov 9, 2018 #9 of 24
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Directv has had in guide ads since creation.. Not really sure this causes any issues

terpfan1980 likes this.
  10. WorldBandRadio

WorldBandRadio Active Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Looks like TivO is planning to place ads in streams and DVR recordings as well...

"...We are re-imagining the guide as one integrated content network that allows you to access all of the content you want to watch seamlessly. We believe this product has the potential to change how you watch TV again.

In addition, this unified discovery experience and content network will enable multiple high CPM targeted advertising opportunities for TiVo. These include sponsored discovery, content merchandising, display promotions, in-stream advertising, DVR ad replacement et cetera...."​

mschnebly likes this.
  11. mschnebly

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Streaming and Video are turning into a cut throat business out there so TiVo might need to do these things to stay or become competitive. Options up the ying yang now.

12. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Some folks are getting all het up about the prospect of increased ads but I find the above blurb to be more interesting in terms of future changes to the TiVo UI. How might this re-imagined guide, with "seamless" integration of content from various sources, differ from the current Hydra UI? And frankly, can it really be successfully implemented without underlying support for more streaming sources than TiVo currently offers?

13. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Is this Rovi's reaction to the Amazon DVR coming out soon? :) This is what they call beating Amazon, punch yourself in the face, first. :):):)

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    [tangent] A new one for me--thanks. (And who said that TCF isn't educational?) [/tangent]

NashGuy likes this.
  15. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Just read the article and all I can say is I don’t use Tivo for the apps. I do not stream with Tivo now or plan to in the future. I use my AppleTV for that stuff as it’s more reliable and faster.

16. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    One of the things people like the most about Netflix et al is No ads. It ruins the flow of the show, they are a distraction. Really, most ads are yelling at people to do something.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Which show?

Network shows are fully cognizant of how ads affect the pacing. Sometimes, with an especially well-constructed show, the lack of ads on the DVD can be a bit jarring. Even the act of skipping the ads places a pause in the show's action, which if they have any ability whatsoever they take into account when pacing the show.

(And of course I'm not saying ads are a good thing; just that the people who make network shows take them into account when structuring the flow of the show.)

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What you say is true, but the editing can only hope to minimize the disruption.

That said, the early days of Hulu and the current state of ads in The Roku Channel app certainly involve disruptive ad inserts, with the ads not being linked to any particular show segment break.

19. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    The Directv DVR with ads in the guide are really irritating!!!!!!!

The thing is "allot of us" pay for Tivo service separately from the cable co / sat co's..... allot of us also "own" our equipment......

Why do we have DVR's?????? mostly to GET RID OF ADS!!!

One thing nice about owned tivo equipment..... is that there are some back doors to get rid some of the stuff.

Tivo needs to be very careful in forcing ads upon owners of the paid for equipment.... I for one will be really POed!!!!! if they start placing ads in places like the Guide..... and if they do this, I sure hope as a paid user of my equipment they have a "back door" to remove it.
    I have PLS on my DVR and when I purchased PLS I expect it to be a DVR without ads.

If Tivo wants to put ads into the system..... then they need to have a price that compensates the user for it..... Like a reduced monthly/yearly or PLS/all-in rate.

wmcbrine likes this.
  20. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I wonder if TiVo ever considered doing the approach of having a free/no cost guide service that wouldn’t include premium features (skip mode, quick mode, transfers or streaming between DVRs, use of minis, etc.), wouldn’t include the warranty, would have static ads all over the place, and maybe even would force a couple of video ads before you could watch your recording (like YouTube does, but without skip)?

IMO, this would induce more people to try the TiVo ecosystem, be annoying enough to get a good chunk of people to upgrade to pay for service (if it was a reasonable monthly service cost like the one they are now charging for Bolt OTA), would allow others to keep boxes active for free that they don’t use a whole lot, facilitate transfers from boxes when upgrading, etc.