Someone put me out of my mysery - quick MFS/Linux Q

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by fade2grey, Jan 9, 2006.

1. fade2grey

fade2grey New Member

Oct 25, 2005

Advertisements

Okay my brain's not working this morning & I'm feeling too lazy to do any real digging at the moment... here's the scenario:

40GB hard disk connected as Primary IDE master.
    CDrom connected as Secondary master.
    I'm booting from the MFS2 but I've added a backup file called tivo.bak to the root.

What I'm trying to do is restore this backup file to the hard disk to test the backup works etc.

I thought the following would work:
    Code:
    MFSrestore -zpi /cdrom/tivo.bak /dev/hda
    but I get no such file or directory.

Obviously I'm doing something daft but I'm really not a linux person, pointy click wintel is my thang.

anyone fancy giving me a quick rundown on linux :D

2. fade2grey

fade2grey New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    actually when I use:
    mfsrestore -zpi /cdrom/tivo.bak /dev/hda

the error I get is now:
    Restore failed: first target drive too small.

The drive reports as 40gb in the BIOS of the machine & I've used FDISK (in linux) to delete all the partitions

3. fade2grey

fade2grey New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    okay I think the problem is due to the disks being different makes so there's a few kb different in the size. Does anyone know a work around for it?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Get an image smaller than your drive, or get a bigger drive.

5. fade2grey

fade2grey New Member

Oct 25, 2005

Advertisements

the original Image is from a 40GB tivo & the drive I'm using is a 40GB drive - now I know that there can be a discrepency in the bit/byte/Mb calcs used to get to the 40Gb depending on who makes it (ie what country) but is there no way to rejig some of the space? It seems odd that a backup image may not restore on a drive of the original size.

6. stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    Drives from different manufacturers vary slightly in size (even if they are both 40G).

You best bet would be to use a drive from the same manufacturer as the drive the image came from, or to upgrade to a 60G or larger drive.