Some stations have missing guide data only 1 week away!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MPSAN, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Dec 8, 2019 #1 of 17
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I have 2 Premieres. One an XL4 and the other a normal Premiere 4. They are both connected via hard wire LAN. The XL4 has the guide data OK, but if I go a week out, it is missing on a lot of channels. The other Tivo is fine. The bad one will see the shows again on the 9th and 10th day again. Is there any reason for this? For example I wanted to schedule a show on PBS 710 on the 15th at noon. It just has TBA for that whole day then guide data picks up again on Tuesday. I see other stations doing this but NOT on the other TIVO. Is there a software update I am missing on the xL4? What Level should it be? Can I force it? I did a network connection and the new updated guide data did not resolve this. I did a power OFF and after 1 minute I put the plug back in. So far that did not help either...perhaps I did not wait long enough?

Everything else is working OK. What software level should the XL4 be and how do I get it if mine is not OK?

2. Dec 8, 2019 #2 of 17
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i was having this problem, it's a random guide data issue - since the dates are so close, perform a "clear program information & to do list" and when it's finished and you're prompted, force a connection, and all will (probably) be well:

tivo central > settings & messages > help > restart or reset > restart or reset > cpi & tdl

it may take anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour, so make sure you don't have any upcoming recordings before you start, and good luck! ;)

p.s. if you notice this again and it's 5 days or greater forward in the guide, you can open a ticket and support will trigger a full guide download so you won't have to do this.

3. Dec 8, 2019 #3 of 17
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Great, did you mean to say restart or reset > restart or reset > twice? I assume that when done it will then still have my tdl and season passes!

OH, do you know what the current software version should be?

4. Dec 8, 2019 #4 of 17
    NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, believe it or not, it's in the menu twice. ;) the dialog will confirm your 1p's won't be touched, and your tdl will be rebuilt automatically following a service connection (and indexing in the background).

the current software is 20.7.4brc3

KDeFlane likes this.
  5. Dec 8, 2019 #5 of 17
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Thank you so much I can try this tomorrow and yes the issue is with the guide being 6 or 7 days ahead and then has info on the 8th day!

My software is 20.7.4b.RC3-758-2-758. I sure hope I can clear this up.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  6. Dec 9, 2019 #6 of 17
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Thank you so much it worked!

NorthAlabama likes this.
  7. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    My unit has been having a similar issue as the OP, with mine being just one channel empty today, but i'll get to that below...

Whenever I see someone recommend the "clear program information & to do list" remedy, my mind locks up in fear of wiping the whole system. I've always just assumed this is that major step where people warn it will reset everything and delete my SPasses, but I forget what they call that procedure. To NorthAlabama I say: This might be the first time someone has explicitly reassured me that the box will confirm that my data will be safe. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll be looking for those instructions later today. Wish me luck!

As for my own guide gaps, I'm wondering whether I have an underlying hardware issue. I've had empty holes for the past few days in the current week. First it was a few channels, then those fixed themselves, then a different few channels became empty. Yesterday I repeatedly forced a connection, and the process looked like it was connecting, going thru steps for setting the clock and getting my account status, but then the next step to download data completed in less than one second, boom, skipped right to disconnecting. No errors were reported, it just acted like there was no new data to be gathered. The guide never corrected itself.

Today when I forced a connection, it failed at the "setting the clock" step! Then I ran the network diagnostics, and I'm getting an intermittant error telling me a TCP port is being blocked. Tried it again, and all tests passed, no error. The fact that it is inconsistent makes me think the problem is in my TiVo's hardware, not my router. (It's using ethernet cable, btw, not wifi). Should I open the box and blow out the dust? And if so, is there anything I need to know going inside?

8. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I had the same issues EXACTLY and more and more stations were NG about 6 days out. The instructions were great and NO One Passes were harmed in the making of this thread. :)
    I, too tried all that you did and even powered off the Tivo NOTHING Helped. However, keep in mind that you should not start this unless you have a few HOURS with nothing scheduled to record! It even rebuilt my tdl OK!
    Let us know how it goes!

OH, where in Silicon Valley, as we moved here from Saratoga.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last week one (of three) TiVo's had a whole bunch of "Upcoming:" entries. I could have just waited for the next connection, but I figure that it would be quicker to just run that CGD&TDL. (I says Guide Data on my Roamio). After 1 hour all was good. If I have "TBA" then I'll wait it out especially since it will usually be on one or two (related) channels.

A Premiere doesn't have internal wireless, so you can't just try a service connection. I have a Premiere that uses a wireless bridge. I guess you have done a restart of your router?

10. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I'm not sure I understand Joe's comments. These were not "To Be Announced" placeholders, this was "Title not found" and a completely empty timeline on the live guide. I can force a service connection with the menu, and it is not using WiFi, so wireless has nothing to do with my question. Maybe I use the term 'router' when i meant 'switcher' as my housemate frequently tells me, as he's the one who performs all the I.T. task on our home network. (My computer is also on ethernet wires, and the TiVo uses the ethernet pass-thru extension from the thingie which gives others their WiFi.) Blowing out dust from circuit boards is probably not a bad idea anyway for heat dissipation, but maybe has no direct relation to whatever the Ethernet modem card is or is not doing with the TCP ports. (My brain hears 'ports' and looks for something which might be clogged with dust, rather than software configurations, go ahead and laugh).

11. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    several users, including myself since november, have pointed out random guide holes, and they're not new, but (thankfully) rare. they can appear as "upcoming, to be announced (tba), or title not available." i suspect they are due to an error in the process of loading one or more daily updates not configured correctly from tivo, but i really don't know for sure. they could also be the result of corruption of the program guide data on the tivo, which the procedure i recommended easily corrects.

in the past, the issue becomes very noticeable when i integrate my ota channels into the guide along with my cable channels, the primary reason i purchased the tivo i have now, and at a time when our comcast market was doing a lousy job integrating our local sub-channels into their lineup.

as far as the random connection test error, i wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes frequent, and don't see how opening your box would help - let your i.t. friend know about it, as i suspect the issue is network related. a full power off (shutdown) of every device on your network would be my next suggestion - once everything is off, bring the router up first, then each device in order of importance on the network - maybe start with the tivo. :)

12. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    yeah, when IT guy gets home, i'll have him take a look at the network. I did turn everything off, blew out some dust from the fan (but did not open the box), rebooted and did another network check. The screen still says the TCP and DNS failed, but then lets me force a connection which says it completed without a fail. *shrug* Until the network test passes reliably, I won't clear any data on the chance nothing will download to overlay what I do have. I'll just skip a few eps of Jeopardy! and manually set my other ABC shows for today, as everything else is stable. Thank you for being so engaged with my little corner of the world, friends.

(follow-up edit):
    Well, something helped. Maybe it was the dusting, maybe it was the hard reboot, maybe it was a planetary alignment. I will note, however, that my SD menu puts the "cpi&tdl" delete command in a different place than the above instructions, just one level under "Restart/Reset" which is at the same level as Help (which only has troubleshooting suggestions in text form).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    NorthAlabama likes this.
  13. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I’m seeing “Upcoming:” on ton of channels between 7 pm Dec 17 and 7 pm Dec 19 and again between 7 pm Dec 21 and 7 pm Dec 22.

Are you saying these might fix themselves or is a CGD&TDL required?

Also if I do the later do one off scheduled recordings (not One Passes) come back?

14. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, in my experience, it will eventually self-correct, but there's no predicting how long it will take, and it may come back - a cpi & tdl will fix it immediately and usually sticks a little longer (at least until they send down another corrupted update, which starts this all over again) - and, remember, reporting a lineup issue form online works in about 2 or 3 days, too.

after submitting 2 lineup issue online 2 weeks apart, only to have it come back, i performed a cpi & tdl, and haven't had any issues since.​
    manual recordings will remain in place, no worries there, and 1p's reschedule once a connection is made following the cpi & tdl - it'll take about 30min to an hour to complete, and all will be well.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, I agree with NA. Second, if those messed up time slots don't affect your schedule you could wait. I'm betting they don't get corrected since TiVo doesn't know they are wrong. Check Online. Last week I asked TiVo if there was a website that used their EPG data. The site tv.com dropped TiVo and went with CBS Interactive. Their response was they don't have an EPG. Also, of three Roamio guides on that day, only one was full of bad data. My guide has bad data for The Tonight Show right now. I doubt it will get fixed.

16. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Looks like today’s update fixed all of the gaps for me. Which is odd since it didn’t advance the guide data out. Guide still only goes till 1 pm Dec 24.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    NorthAlabama likes this.
  17. mayeri

mayeri Member

Oct 19, 2014
    I've had a few instances in the last few months where there will be 1 to 2 days missing in the middle of a channel guide or a guide for specific channels simply end prematurely. If I go to manually force a network connection the loading phase can take a very very long time. (the connect status window timed out twice before completing).

I just forced a network connect. today is 12/13. the main HBO guide jumps from 12/22 5:15PM to 12/24 8PM.
    I have a Tivo Premiere. software is 20.7.4b.RC3-746-2-746