Some shows black out in the middle?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by YCantAngieRead, Oct 17, 2007.

1. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm wondering if this is a problem anyone has heard of, or if it's a sign my old S2 TiVo is getting geriatric.

Randomly, the picture will drop out while recording a show, and I'll have just a black screen. Sound will still be fine, just no picture.

Sound familiar to anyone?

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    How is the tivo set up? It could be a tivo problem, or a problem with the cable box if there is one in the loop.

3. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Well, it's been set up like this for a while now. And one thing I forgot to mention is if I notice, while it's recording, that a program has no picture, I can stop the recording and the picture is then viewable.

4. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Bump?

5. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Might be the TV.

Awhile back I was getting intermittent backouts on playback and live TV through the TiVo. The audio was there, but the picture would go black.

I thought it was the S-video cables between my TiVo and the A-V receiver or between the A-V receiver and the TV. I tried bypassing the A-V receiver, new S-video cables and the second S-Video input. I went to composite and it didn't happen.

I tried the second S-video on my TV and it work well for a while then started blacking out. Only the composite still connection worked.

Also the TV menus stopped working. That's when I started suspecting the TV. Finally I got nothing on the S-video inputs and I could not get the menus back at all (unplugging the TV got the menus back for a while).

The result was that it was the TV that was bad. It was a 36-inch flat screen CRT monster. I couldn't see repairing this thing so I just hauled if off to the dump and put it in the reuse area.

I put my older 27-inch CRT TV in its place and the S-video works flawlessly now. I can't use the component outputs on my DVD player now because this TV doesn't have those kind of inputs. Soon I hope to get a LCD HDTV and an TiVo HD.