Some questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by vonbismarck, Jan 16, 2006.

1. vonbismarck

vonbismarck New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Hello all, I have two questions although one doesn't really have much to do with a tivo unit.

First question:

Does the brand of multi switch make any kind of difference when it comes to picture quality, signal strength, etc.? I need to get a new multi switch but don't have a lot of money so I was wondering if brand matters. I am looking at getting a Zinwell (sp?) right now.

Second question:

Does having a lot of multi switches effect any of the above mentioned things (i.e. PQ, signal, etc.)? I have two right now and will have a third (unless I can afford a bigger one to replace one and then I would have two).

Third question:

This doesn't have much to do with tivo but figured I would ask here since I am already asking other questions. I am thinking of getting an upscaler and was wondering if any has tried this with Directv and how it turned out. Right now I am looking at an iscan ultra (it is an older version) but might get a newer version if I have the money. I am thinking of hooking the STB, dvd player (and if possible my game consoles) into it.

Help with any/all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    First two questions can be answered together. As long as the multiswitch is cascadable, it doesn't really make much difference anymore. Any time you interconnect things, there will be a little signal loss. But, with a digital signal, you either have it or you don't. The signal strength you see isn't a raw value of power. It is really a signal quality based on a few variables, power being just one.

I have no experience with upscalers. Maybe someone in the HDTiVo forum can answer this.

3. vonbismarck

vonbismarck New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I will go check out the HDTiVo forum about the upscaler. One thing I forgot to ask but doesn't really matter is if distance between the switch and the STB has any real effect on things? I know it can have someone what of an effect with cable modems but not sure if does here or if it has really has any noticable effect (I am guessing that it doesn't).

Again, thank you.