Some program listing have Generic Discriptions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Debbie25, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Debbie25

Debbie25 Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon

Advertisements

For the past couple of months I have been getting some very Generic Descriptions on some listings.

Meaning I will look up to see if a Basketball game will be televised or not.
    I find a listing that is at the correct time of the game but all it says is "No information available. (HD) No Rating, Basketball, Sports Event, First aired....."

I also have a Season Pass for 'Wife Swap'.
    I had about 7 recordings listed in my 'Now Showing' and all of them said "No information available".

Wondering if this is a setting on my system or is it Comcast not giving Tivo the info.

I can go to my Comcast Box (bypassing the Tivo) and this Descriptions are fine.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should give more info like what model Tivo you are talking about. Tivo does not get the program info directly from Comcast, it gets it from somewhere else on the internet and comcast gets it from them as well.

Each Tivo Series 3 and newer uses a different setup then the older Series 2 (Cable card vs. cable box).

3. Debbie25

Debbie25 Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon
    Sorry about that.

I have a 'TiVo Premiere XL4 (Elite)' with a M-Card.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should have Guide once you have the cable card properly paired and rerun guided setup with the proper lineup. Most likely you would need to select the digital version of the lineup.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I have TiVo S3s, a TiVo HD, a Premiere and a Roamio. They all get the same guide information, although the Roamio gets it more dynamically. Asking the OP what model TiVo he is using is a waste of time.

6. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    TiVo gets guide information from Tribune Media. Tribune gets its info from the broadcasters. I'd put this on the broadcasters not caring or not understanding how important accurate guide data is.

For the record, it seems I have generic info listed for Wife Swap on 10/24.

7. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I have seen this for years; perhaps you just noticed it?

Quite frequently a program will have a generic description in the guide for a few days, and it will be selected for recording initially as if it were a new program. But as it gets closer to air date the description may get updated with specific information and then my TiVo realizes that it's something that it has recorded recently and unselects the recording. In other cases the generic description never gets updated and the episode of something I've already seen will get recorded. I remember this happening particularly with "The Simpsons" syndicated reruns on KCOP, which is a local non-network channel.

The problem is with the guide information that TiVo is buying, I think from Tribune Media. And I suspect the real problem is that they are getting incomplete information from the stations.

8. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    also happens with the Deadliest Catch.