Some Help For A Mac Guy To Upgrade A TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by bracoh, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Ok, I got the TivoHD today. It's all set up. I have a 400 gig and the Tivo drive in SATA USB boxes. I'm on an Intel Mac and am able to boot from the Linux Boot CD from MFSLive. I'm a little confused on the correct Unix commands. I don't want to overwrite my internal drive. I have read the directions and am still confused. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
  3. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Why not disconnect the internal drive if you are worried?

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    An excellent suggestion!

5. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Can't do that on an iMac.

6. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Thanks for the replies but weaknees doesn't have directions for the HD unit only the S3. I had already looked at them.

7. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Instructions for the HD and the S3 would be the same ;)

8. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Thanks, I'll try it. I just wasn't sure about them being the same.

9. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Instructions are the same but mfstools won't work.

You will need the new mfstools updated just for Tivo HD.

10. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I don't believe you. I've disconnected the internal drive of my Mac Mini many times including to double the capacity.

edit:Noob ;) http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/DFFA53A0-F23D-4541-9015-481FD3B6532E/iMac_Disassembly.html

If you're not willing to do that then you can verify which disk is which using the command "pdisk -l /dev/hdX" and replace X with a b c or d. The Tivo drives will be obvious since they have 14+ partitions with strange FS types.
    edit2: Your usb drives may show up as something like /dev/sdd I think.

11. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    The mac mini is much easier to get to the drive than an iMac. I will try your Unix commands though.

12. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Once the cd is done booting you can press shift-pgup and scroll through the messages to hopefully see what the drives were detected as. If you try to run pdisk against the CD drive you will probably get a segmentation fault. I know that with the MFSLive cd you can wait until the system is booted and then plug the USB device in and it will display the drive locations.

I've always disliked the LCD based iMacs and this makes the feeling even stronger. Having upgraded Apple laptops as well as the CRT iMacs I can tell you that the walkthrough I posted is just ridiculous. How do they expect someone to increase HD capacity without potentially breaking the system?

13. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    That's been my beef with Apple for a long time. I had a G5 iMac that was easily accessible. I probably changed the Hard Drive 5 or 6 times. The Intels are not. I wasn't willing to go through all of that just to do what I'm trying to do here. I could easily wait until the eSata port is activated but I'm home recovering from surgery so I've got the time. I'm heading in right now and will post an update when I'm done. Thanks again for all of the help!

14. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Here's what I did:
    Booted from the bootcd
    Turned on the case with the Tivo 160 in it. It showed up as sdc
    Turned on the case with the 400 gig in it. It showed up as sdd (this was formatted as an OSX drive, but I thought it didn't matter
    Typed in: backup -f 9999 -qso - /dev/sdc l restore -s 128 -xzpi -/dev/sdd the script I got from MFSLive

I keep getting an error: invalid option --x

edit: I figured what was wrong with the above command. I was using a lower case l after sdc. With that fixed i ran it again, the backup was successful but restore fails every time. I've tried sda and sdb

I also tried backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdb, also from MFSLive. I get the same result every time. Backup is fine but restore fails every time. Anyone got any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

15. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo New Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Seattle, WA
    I would have expected the command to be

backup -qTao - /dev/sdc | restore -s 128 -xzpi - /dev/sdd

with the original drive showing up as sdc and the new drive showing up as sdd

16. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    If you're using the MFSLive boot CD then make sure you're using the correct syntax. I haven't used it in a while but I seem to recall the syntax is slightly different than the ones used with MFSTools.

17. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    I swear I thought I had tried every combination but apparently I missed this one. I just did it and am sitting here with a TivoHD good for 51 hrs of HD or 480 SD. The whole thing took about 10 minutes.

Thanks for all of the help and I guess we can put this thread to rest! :D :up:

18. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo New Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Seattle, WA
    Very good. I had just started a test run on my MacBook (booted with the mfslive linux cd) to test this out to you.

The backup | restore process from a HDTivo 160 GB to a 250 WD is running now with the commands I gave you. Just make sure you set the source and destination drives correctly. Easiest is to boot up all the way. Plug in your source drive to the USB and note what it comes up as. Then, plug in your destination drive into the other USB port.

Yes, it works on a MacBook. The winMFS user interface is much nicer and probably safer, but at least Mac (intel) users have a means of doing the work.

I don't know how to do mount a Mac volume so you can do a truncated backup to your Mac drive. I'll leave that to real Mac and Linux user.

BTW the backup piped to restore looks to take about 40 minutes using a MacBook and USB to SATA adapters.

19. bracoh

bracoh New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Guy, mine only took 10 minutes because I didn't have any recordings yet. I just got it set up with the Cable Cards today. That's why I wanted to get the larger drive in the unit before I started recording. Is there another command to expand the drive even more? I'm certainly not complaining about 51 hours of HD but if I can get more out of this 400 gig drive, I say why not.

I tried to get it to work through Parallels and Vista but couldn't get the WinFS to see the drives. The Linux worked great once I got the correct commands (with your help!)

20. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo New Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Seattle, WA
    Mine had some recordings. So, yes longer. I forgot that little tidbit.

winMFS has a command to "supersize" but I don't think that is in the mfsLive linux Cd.