Some HD questions from a former S1 owner

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Vespa, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...

Advertisements

Pre-amble:
    I have not been active on this forum for a few years since I had sold my S1 and was using the Comcast HD DVD (ick) since then.

Hey folks, I just picked up an HD unit from Best Buy yesterday. Funny side story, Best Buy had a stack (8) of them there, and would not sell it to me until we called Circuit City down the road who said yes, they were selling them.

I got it hooked up to Comcast last night…it only took three phone calls. Here is my suggestion: After to insert the cable cards….step back and wait for 30-60 seconds for the Cable system to recognize the cards. Mine were not being recognized right away, and I was getting a tad nervous and started swapping them around.

Anyway, I am a former Series 1 owner and I have some questions about my new HD unit that I could not find in the (over?) abundance of information here :

1) Can I or how do I enable the 30-second skip on the HD unit?

2) I used to use Tivoweb on my old S1 unit, and from what I can tell it’s still kicking around (under a new name) does that work with Tivo HD?

3) I can’t wait to drop a larger HDD into the unit…how long did it take the commuity to create the tools to drop a larger HDD into the 300-hour Series3 HD DVR? In other words, how long do we have to wait? J

4) Will the high end back light remote work with the HD if I decide to pick one up?

5) I knew this before I bought it, but let me register my dissapointmetn in no Tivo to go, and the fact there is no TivoDesktop for Vista yet L

6) What other ‘hacks’ (either software or remote hacks) are working w/ the HD?

Again, I searched as much as I could across the fourms, but could not find answers for the above. Perhaps the HD FAQ should be broken into two parts: A before you buy FAQ and an after you buy FAQ.

Thanks.

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes, same as you always do it. Just might take a few more tries on the TiVo HD but it works
    hacks such as this stopped being possible on the 540 and DT units. A PROM chip was introduced that stopped the hacks working correctly. Their are services to replace that PROM chip which requires soldering work. I have not followed what it is like with the S3 and the TiVo HD is too new to know yet.
    there is a thread started by spike 2k5 here. the mfstools does work on the S3 but NOT on the TiVo HD. Spike2k5 is reworking a newer tool winmfs and has it just about ready for alpha testing. Most likely soon enough it will be ready for general use on the TiVo HD
    yes
    yes, lack of MRV/TTG has been bad and boo on cable labs for blocking it. The good news is that TiVo can work on a version that will work with everything but what was recorded from an encrypted digital cable channel. They have told Megazone, which he recounted in hs review on www.tivolovers.com, that they are working on plans to have TTG/MRV for the S3 line by the end of the year.
    display time. :) the Esata hack for the S3 does not work as well. :(

3. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    3) larger HD options are already available from vendors like weakness, so that is verified but the DIY method is still being worked on. (update: looks like it may not be available yet from weaknees but it is being worked on by spike 25k and their hoping to have new info out soon)

the non official esata like on the S3 does not work but reports are it is to be supported in a future 2007 software upgrade.

CC put a sale on it's website today, $258.99 on the Tivo HD and you should get BB to match it. There are reports of a $40 of $200 coupon from CC and that would lower it even more.

4. Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    Thanks folks.

What *IS* the hack for the 30-second skip?

5. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005

Advertisements

Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Press the code above while timeshifted or while playing a recording.

7. Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    Thanks. Will do!

8. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    See this page for the 30-second skip code and others.

As mentioned, starting with the 540 model S2 boxes TiVo began locking things down. To do any software hacks on the 540, or later, units requires de-soldering the PROM and re-flashing it. Not for the faint of heart. The TiVo HD is too new to know if any of the hacks will work on it, or exactly how to carry them out. I'm sure the hacker community at ************.com is working on it.

With the S3 the existing MFSTools worked with some simple mods to handle SATA. So there was just about no wait. With the TiVo HD that is not the case. TiVo has made changes to MFS, and the old tools will require a major re-write.

The good news is Spike2k5 is working on a new tool, WinMFS, which should be out soon.

Yes, no problem.

The Vista desktop is due out soon, and TTG/TTCB/MRV is supposed to be out later this year, according to what TiVo told me.

See the page I linked in reply to your first question.

9. Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    Thanks again for the great links and information.