Some channels won't appear on some tuners intermittently

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ccoulson, May 9, 2016.

1. May 9, 2016 #1 of 13
    ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003

Advertisements

I have a 6 tuner Roamio and three Minis connected via MoCA. The past week or so I have been experiencing an intermittent problem where it appears that some channels will not display on some tuners. The first time this happened, I tuned to our local CBS affiliate (705 Comcast HD) from the Roamio and I just got a black screen. Other channels would come in fine. I went to one of the Minis, which is served by the same Roamio, and was able to tune to 705 fine. After which, I was able to get to the same channel from the Roamio. This morning, I was trying to watch NBC HD (703) from a mini and got an error about trying to connect to the tuner. Going to another channel worked and all channels seem to be working from the Roamio.

So, my cable signal and card seem to be working properly. I am wondering if I have a bad/failing onboard tuner? But, that doesn't make sense as from the same Mini I can get to other channels, and presumably the Mini uses the same tuner on the Roamio?

Any ideas?

2. May 9, 2016 #2 of 13
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Simple test. Restart the Roamio. Then go to TiVo box Diagnostics. Check that all tuners have the same signal strength and SNR. That will indicate all tuners work on that channel. Tune to 703 before the restart.

3. cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Do you get V52 or V53 channel tuning errors on those HD channels?
    Try also some SD channels eg 50x for me (bay area), and you may get picture, but tearing/macroblocking?

Welcome to my post-december hell.

If you go to Tivo Diagnostics (don't need to restart),
    you'll see the RS corrected/uncorrected will be climbing like nuts for the broken channels.
    (Some may be resetting back to 0, if the Signal Lock gets lost as my HD's did).

Contact Tivo tech support w/ this info especially the signal strength %, lock , SNR dB,and RS corrected/uncorrected info.
    who knows what will happen next.

4. JTHOJNICKI

JTHOJNICKI Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago Suburbs
    These issues all sound similar to the issues I had when first setting up my Roamio Pro with a Comcast cablecard; channels intermittently worked and didn't work. It ultimately turned out to be a signal strength issue. TiVo and the Comcast cablecard division were useless in helping solve the problem; they kept finger-pointing at each other. I finally got to the bottom of the issue when my Internet speed went to **** during a rainstorm. I called Comcast's Internet support division which dispatched a tech who found the cable in the ground to be bad and a bad termination on the inside feed cable. He replaced the outside cable and re-terminated the inside cable. All issues were resolved.

5. Jul 7, 2016 #5 of 13
    cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Thanks... I don't think it's my signal, as my internet speed is solid 100M+ and stable, and my HD S3 has no problems with tuning channels. Just the Roamio.
    I'll have to try swapping cables and splitters around maybe,
    but for the bad channels, it's definitely bad SNR/error correction numbers..

6. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    If you have a tuning adapter, reboot it. Sometimes they go crazy, and sometimes they need to get fresh channel mapping data. I've been very lucky with my Motorola one, but some people have endless problems with theirs. Also, disconnect the USB cable at both ends, acknowledge the TA is gone, then reconnect it, acknowledge the TA has returned, and see if that helps.

7. RoamioJeff

RoamioJeff Unregistered User

May 8, 2014
    Also, on the subject of Tuning Adaptors, if you have one, the Cisco STA1520 is notorious for locking up and having to be power cycled.

8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Tuning adapters go bad from time to time; I had one start failing intermittently just recently.

But OP is on Comcast and does not suffer the pain of tuning adapters.

9. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I was not aware Comcast had sufficient bandwidth to not have to use TAs.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sure it's a local issue. I have 460 channels available and 16/4 internet. No TA. I get 100+ HD channels and there are dozens that are empty.

11. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    TW L.A. has dozens of channels that need the TA, and based on a letter they sent me quite recently, are moving dozens more to it.

And the letter also said that for now they are not charging for the TA, which means soon they will be.

12. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The original letter from TWC, the one a few years ago that introduced the tuning adapter, said the same thing about no charges for now.

13. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    They said the same thing about their cable modems, and look what happened there.