Some channels coming in very strange

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Below, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Below

Below New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I have the Tivo running to a 47 inch HD LCD that goes up to 1080p. I set the Tivo to 1080i fixed. (changing this does nothing). Ive tried Component and HDMI.

Anyways for a couple of the HD channels I have either a bright yellow line running down the very left side of the screen or some strange oscillating bars at the very top. All of the SD channels on fill have some black lines on the left and right side. Also channel 30 (on cable) comes in but the audio isnt there just some light scratchy sound.

Is this normal?

I dont really mind the lines on the SD signals as they are black and I dont really notice them. But the HD channel problems are quite annoying. Some HD signals are GREAT, but there are others that come in with those problems over cable AND OTA (same channels).

Is this a problem with the tuners? There is another cable box in the house that tunes those HD signals just fine. Is there a way to fix this or should I just take this one (the second) back?

I took the first one back because it kept crashing and pixelating some HD channels but did not pixelate on playback. It also kept rebooting.

Not using any cablecards either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If your TV is the Westinghouse 47" LVM47W1 or similar then the edge noise you are seeing is expected/normal. That TV does 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan so it truly displays what it gets from the source.
    If you choose "fill" mode instead of "standard" mode this will cut off 5% of the picture around the edges and get rid of the issue if it really bothers you.

3. Below

Below New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Thank you very, very much, it is indeed the Westinghouse.

Ok so that solves the problem with the SD and HD channels, would you happen to know what could be wrong with channel 30?

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    See if there is an alternate audio source for that channel and if so try it. (right arrow, down arrow, down arrow)

5. Below

Below New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Yeah Ive tried that and no dice. It's only Nickelodeon, but still :)