1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some channels aren't working.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nuraman00, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:38 AM.

1. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Today, some channels weren't working. I got the "searching for signal" error.

It seemed like channels 718 - 725, at least. Higher channels worked.

I called my cable company. They couldn't resolve it with a power cycle, so they sent the case to the escalation team. They claimed the escalation team was 24 hours, and would call me back today.

I doubt it.

I have a feeling that they'll forget about me, and I'll have to call them back tomorrow.

I think they'll also try to blame my equipment, since it's not theirs (Tivo).

They tried to blame my cable card, by saying it was old.

I haven't had any equipment changes in months, and everything worked yesterday.

I did set up a MoCA network in September, though. I changed one splitter from 900Hz, to 2050 Mhz.

The one directly connected to the MoCA filter is less, though.

Like I said though, I hadn't had any issues until today.

2. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    My signal strength for the tuners is at 81%. I wonder why it's so low.

3. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I changed one of the coax cables. It raised it to 88%.

Cable company still hasn't called me back.

Still, the next time I go to the hardware store, I might buy another splitter and replace the one directly connected to the MoCA filter.

All channels work now.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Who is your cableCo and location? You might need a tuning adapter, the channels may be Switched Digital Video.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I wish this forum had a pop-up message every time you start a new thread, saying something like:
    "If you are reporting a problem receiving cable TV channels, please include your location and service provider in your post."

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Premiere doesn't have the same AGC circuit as a Roamio or Bolt. My two-tuner Premiere is happy at 78% with a 36dB SNR.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good luck with that. Location should be a mandatory entry during registration. Plus you know all TiVo units are the same.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Good point. Pop-up message should also request TiVo model!

9. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    If your Premiere was happy at 78% for all channels, why was mine unhappy at 80% for some channels?

Also, it's a bit disappointing that the signal level dropped so much. When I put in the MoCA filter, and replaced one of the splitters, in October, it was at 91-92%. Prior to replacing the splitter, it had been at 87-88%.

Then yesterday, it dropped it 80%, before I replaced one of the coax cables from the splitter to the Tivo. Then it went back to 88%. Which is better, but not as good as October.

10. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Tivo Premiere XL4, Xfinity (Comcast), northern California. All channels work again (some weren't working when I created this thread) after I replaced one of the coax cables.

I've had the same service for years, no changes there. I've had HD service the entire time.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What is the SNR? I have zero errors on my cable feed.

12. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Depending on the tuner, 35 - 36 dB. This is after replacing the coax last night.

I also just noticed that while 3 turners are at 88% signal strength, one is at 92%.