1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some bad reception through new Tivo Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ronaldo, May 12, 2018.

1. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Hello Tivo fans.
    New to the community and I have a question.
    For the most part, my Tivo Bolt experience has been a delight however, there are a couple of channels that my grand daughter watches that has regular reception issues as in bands flashing on screen the typical losing reception situation.
    But, if I unplug my Tivo and run the coax directly into my flat screen TV, these particular channels have no reception issues at all.
    We have another tv with out a Tivo that runs on its own antenna, on the same side of my house, that has no issues at all on these particular channels.
    The antennas are the same for both tv's.
    Any ideas why this is happening and or what I can do to help the situation?
    Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Keep in mind that the TV only has 1 tuner and the Tivo has 4-6 tuners, split internally from the single coax.

It is similar to putting 4 1<2 splitters together, then finally to the TV.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There are signal strength levels for each tuner in Diagnostics. The levels may help to see if that channel is too low. Also, TV tuners are (usually) better. The signal that makes the TiVo happy for OTA is 72%.

4. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    If it's a splitter issue try removing all splitters and running it directly. If that works great then I'd buy a few minis for my setup and have the experience all tv sets

5. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    No splitters. A 45’ homerun
    Signal strength says 52%.
    I think it’s the fact that tv tuner is better straight in.
    Thanks.

6. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I believe that is a myth. There is no reason that the receiver in the TiVo would need to employ an actual splitter. It would be more likely to use a broadband amplifier that feeds the 4 or 6 tuners directly.

JoeKustra and kpeters59 like this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You will catch on. ;)

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Tune to the bad channel, reboot the TiVo, this will cause all tuners to tune to that channel.

See the signal strength for each tuner.

If they are all the same, I can think of two things
    1) that is just the way it is for this TiVo model, you can try various techniques to get a better source signal, better antenna, shorter runs, amplifiers, etc.
    2) there might be a solder connection issue with the coax connector and the motherboard. This was seen on some TiVo's in the past

If they are NOT all the same (within a small percentage) then you might have some bad tuners. This has also been known to happen in the past. If all the tuners are the high numbered ones, you can probably lock out some tuners using some remote control sequence. However, if you are under warranty, return the unit and get one without the problem.

9. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Thanks everybody.
    I’m confused about checking signal strength of each tuner.
    I know how to go about checking signal strength of the channel I’m tuned to, but how do you individually check the four tuners my Bolt with voice command?
    I think I’m missing something here.

10. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I don't know about voice, but on the latest Hydra

(Hamburger) Menu->Help->Account & System Info->Diagnostics

Then use Ch+- to scroll to the various tuners.

11. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    My personal experience in multiple installs is the Bolt tuners aren't that great. In fact my Bolt sits unused in the closet and I use a Roamio for my OTA viewing. It provides much better reception for me (as well as in several situations where I've helped others cut the cord). The Roamio OTA model priced at $399 includes "all in" lifetime (of product) service as well, so there are no monthly fees. Others on TCF have had better luck with Bolt reception. But for me in multiple situtions in side by side comparisons the Roamio gave notably better results.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I see this comment from time-to-time. Just yesterday or the day before, however, I was having some reception issues with a live show being watched through my Bolt, and I switched directly to the television's tuner (a new Samsung set), and found the reception identical.

13. Ronaldo

Ronaldo New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Lastly, I’m not discouraged with my Bolt at all.
    It was just this one channel that was bugging me. And the good thing it’s not one that I watch regularly.
    I was prepared to accept that maybe it was just too far away.
    But the fact that unplugged and straight into my Ancient Sony Bravia tv, I got no pixelation issue going on, well...... I was thinking that a Bolt or a Romio or whatever would tune in better.
    Oh well.
    Thanks all for your input.