Some Advice Please

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Resist, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    We have a Series 3 downstairs connected to our main TV, it has an S-Cablecard and an M-Cablecard. Originally it had two S-cards but one of them failed and Charter replaced it with an M-card. We pay $2 a month per card. Upstairs we have a TivoHD connected to basic cable and an indoor antenna for some HD channels. It has no Cablecards, so the channels are limited.

I started thinking that I should move the TivoHD downstairs and see if I can plug in the M-card and get it to work without a Charter service call. I heard others on this forum had luck doing this. Then turn in the S-card to Charter and hook the Series 3 upstairs. If it works then I would save $2 a month or $24 a year, I know it's not a lot but it adds to the household budget and in this economy every little bit helps. The only downside is that I upgraded the Series 3 with a 1TB drive and I would probably have to do that to the Tivo HD since downstairs is our main viewing area and where we record more shows in HD from cable.

So what do you think? I won't do this if I can't get the Cablecard to work without a Charter truck roll. And I prefer looking at my Series 3 downstairs over the TivoHD because it has a clock, but it all boils down to saving some money right now.

2. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    Does Charter charge for a truck roll?

If you try what you say and it doesn't work and it probably won't, then when you try to put the card back it probably won't either so you are out a truck roll cost or not either way.

Sometime between August and November this year the FCC will require cable companies to do self installs on CableCARDs.

My cable company give me the first CableCARD free as if it were a cable box that I don't need. The additional card costs.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes.

As I said, others on this forum had luck with it working. I have pulled a card out of the Series 3 before to reseat it and it worked fine. So there is no reason to believe that if it didn't work in my other Tivo, that putting it back into the Series 3 would be without issue.[/QUOTE]

4. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    If the card stays in the same device, pulling and re-seating it will work because the Host-ID remains the same. A different device will have a different Host-ID so it may not work if the cable company checks the full pairing information which includes the Host-ID.

5. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I already understood that. Other here have said that their cable companies apparently were not checking the pairing information and why it worked for them. I may be as lucky, I won't know until I try it. But if it doesn't work then I won't pay Charter the $35 truck roll, to save $24 the first year. However if come November and we are allowed to install the cards ourselves, then maybe I will do the full transfer then.

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That seems to about sum up what's happening here. Other threads and posts seem to indicate that many/most Charter regions don't really(fully) pair the cards.

Seemingly very similar situation:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=471690