Some advice about Panasonic TH37PX60B & using seperate Freeview STB

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by dponsford, Jan 4, 2007.

1. dponsford

dponsford New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    London

Advertisements

I'm seeking some advice having just just picked up the above TV, which of course has built-in freeview tuner. Previously I have been using a seperate freeview STB (Sony) with a CRT TV.

I was wondering whether it was possible (or indeed sensible) to try and set up the panasonic to use the freeview STB too, so I can watch from one source and record from another with the TiVo.

Can anyone suggest how I should cable up the scart and RF connections to achieve this?

Thanks in advance, dp

2. Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    The only way is to continue with the TiVo using the separate freeview STB ( indeed it cannot use the one in the TV. )

If you want to record one thing whilst watching another the TiVo will record from the STB and you will use the TVs internal tuner to watch something else.

STB----SCART----TiVo-----SCART-----TV

Additionally

Aerial----STB-----TV for watching freeview on the TV.

Rgds,

R.

3. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    That's what I did - I bought the 42 inch version just before Christmas (galling, as they've gone down nearly £500 in the sales!!).

My setup is a little more complex than this:

Sky+ -> TiVo -> AV1 RGB scart on TV
    Sky+ -> AV2 composite scart on TV
    Freeview PVR -> DVD Recorder -> AV3 RGB scart on TV

This setup works well - the DVD recorder acts as an RGB pass through when off enabling the ungindered use of the Freeview PVR. The same would be true of Sky+ had the aux bypass worked on my TiVo.

Also, if I just want to watch live, I can use the telly's Freeview reciever.

This also means that under my TV I now have 4 different digital recording devices, with the Freeview PVR record two channels at once (when it works). Sky+ has had this turned off as in theory it could prevent TiVo from recording on it.

So, no more clashes :)

I have to be careful when setting up manual recordings from BBC2 on the DVD recorder as BBC2 analogue is significantly different to BBC2 digital in Wales, but this doesn't concern TiVo though as it's able to get both English and Welsh versions from the Sky+.

4. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    What you suggest is certainly the best way of doing it but I don't think that it's the only way.

These Panasonic screens are designed to (optionally) output the Freeview signal from the internal DTT tuner on scart 2 regardless of what state the screen is in or what it is displaying. So the Tivo could definitely record Freeview from the Panasonic's DTT tuner via scart 2 whilst the set was off or being used to watch a DVD or other source. Whether the channel changing would work or not I don't know (this would depend on the codes being in the Tivo database and also on whether the Panasonic designers have allowed for this). As I won't have DTT myself for a couple of months I can't test it yet, but apart from the above two caveats I see no real reason why it shouldn't work.

Not too sure why anyone would actually want to do it though. Especially as these excellent screens can now be had for under £850 for the 42in model which should leave plenty left over for a cheap Freeview box.

5. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea

Advertisements

I know it's off topic, but while we're talking about the Panny Plasma, does anyone know how to access the engineering menu on this TV? Doing a web search, it's talked about in various formums but I've yet found anywhere that lists how to access it and what it allows you to do.

6. dponsford

dponsford New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    London
    Gents,

Indebted to you all for your advice. You have saved me much fumbling with scart cables.

By the way, should I now set the TiVo to output RGB & PAL and connect to AV1?

By the way I paid £799 for my 37 inch Panny last week and saw the 42 inch for the same price in Tottenham Court Road 2 days ago. Absolute bargains both of them.

7. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
  8. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Of course.