SOLVED: Tuning Adapter stops working monthly (Time Warner)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by twilbur, May 21, 2011.

1. twilbur

twilbur New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm a Time Warner Cable customer, and use cable cards & tuning adapters with my HD-capable TiVos (S3 and recently a Premiere XL). I've had a problem for a long while -- every once in a while the tuning adapter would stop working, which would mean that my TiVos would lose their channels and stop recording. It wasn't hard to fix (just power-cycle the TAs), but was really annoying, as I mostly watch recorded HD content, so it'd take me a while to discover that shows hadn't been recording for days.

On the suggestion of a TWC tech, I realized that the TAs were dying very regularly... in fact it was monthly, on my billing cycle renewal date. This, according to the tech, was because my equipment was registered wrong in the TWC system, and so when they renew the authorizations each month, it wasn't working right.

I'm please to report that I was able to contact the local TWC office, and (after getting escalated above the first level service reps), they "fixed the equipment hierarchy," and it's resolved the problem. I just passed my monthly billing cycle date, and the HD just keeps on comin'.

I hope this is useful to anyone else who has a similar problem with their tuning adapters... I know we all complain that they're flaky, but in this case, it was very fixable.

Cheers,

-- Tom

2. ferror

ferror New Member

May 3, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That is very good news. Thanks for getting to the bottom of this. I have been having the same problem for a long time. It can be excruciating to patiently escalate an issue through their customer service, which is probably why these problems can go unsolved for such a long time. Is this something where the fix will apply to all customers in the area, or do we have to call and have them apply the fix to each tuning adapter individually? I guess I will see if the problem has gone away for me over the next couple months.

3. Cspot

Cspot Member

May 25, 2001
    SW Ohio...
    This is interesting...I've only been on TWC for a couple of months, and have had this "monthly" issue......I've actually had to have them send a hit to get everything functioning again though.....wonder if your fix is my real issue?

4. twilbur

twilbur New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ferror -- my understanding was that this was a change made to *my* account, i.e. the registration of my equipment during the monthly billing cycle was problematic. So I do not expect this to have helped you at all. I'll PM you with a direct contact at TWC Austin who may be able to help you.

-- Tom

5. jacksonian

jacksonian New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Had a similar situation here in NC last year where they would lose authorization every four weeks. Something about the timing that was way over my head. I kept having to talk to the national cable card support folks and they finally figured out what was happening and fixed it.

So yes, if you're losing your CC/TA authorization, keep a calendar of when it happens so they can track it down.

PS--I got to where I would just call TWC and tell them I needed national cable card support. Those guys really know what they're doing. The TWC CSRs really don't have the technical knowledge to deal with this issue. Not their fault, just out of their league.

6. ferror

ferror New Member

May 3, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the tips and information. I will try twilbur's contact, and if that doesn't pan out, contact national support.