Solution for those TIVO Bolts that Periodically Reboot without warning...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mtepper27, Feb 15, 2020.

1. mtepper27

mtepper27 New Member

Jul 8, 2019
    After months of trying to identify why each of my 2 TIVO Bolts rebooted from time to time and cost me complete recordings, I have identified the issue as the the Bolt External Power Adapter. I got a Powerline 90382 adapter, the one located at https://www.amazon.com/PowerLine-90382-Multi-Use-Adapter-USB/dp/B016IMPAN0 for each my two current two bolts and have not had a restart in over 2 weeks. For the past several months, they were restarting every 2-3 days.

fcfc2 and Mikeguy like this.
  2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    That is interesting. I am glad it is working for you. You are using it connected directly to the Bolts, same as the stock adapter? And are using the 12V setting? However I am curious, it says it only supplies up to 1.3A. That seems less than the stock adapter. Though it is working I'd be a bit worried myself over time. Maybe some other opinions here, myself if I was going to use a different adapter than the stock (which is not a bad idea), I'd want a MINIMUM of 2A, maybe 2.5 to 3A. 12V of course. If a switching type adapter it should only draw what it needs but good to have the power available if needed. Again would like to hear other opinions on this, 1.3A seems very low though it seems to be working for you. Too low power can cause drive issues, to the point of boot failure (flashing lights, like a drive failure but really a power issue) and drive errors like pending sectors.

3. mtepper27

mtepper27 New Member

Jul 8, 2019
    This is very interesting to learn Tommage1. Should I get an adapter with the same 3A as the stock adapter? I am 100% convinced it's the stock adapter that's causing the reboots. I read on this forum on a post dated many years ago that the internal power adapter of other another TIVO product was the cause of reboots. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this, and I too would like to hear others' opinions on this.

4. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    First of all I think the stock adapter is 2A. But would consider 2.5-3A in case you ever do a drive update that might require a bit more power. And yes, adapters can start to go bad without going bad completely, ie they still supply power but not enough and/or other issues. I had a Roamio that got the flashing lights, was getting ready to replace the drive but tried an adapter from one of my other Roamios first and it solved the problem. Also, bought a "basic" Roamio from someone. Went to pick it up, they demonstrated for me and it had the flashing lights. They offered a discount price, I took it hoping it was the drive which I could replace. However when I got it home I tried one of my other Roamio AC adapters, it worked fine. I looked at their adapter, they connected the wrong adapter, they connected a 1A adapter from a Tivo stream. And since I was replacing the drive anyway I ran diagnostics on their drive, it did have pending sector errors (probably from trying to boot with not enough power). Though it was a Roamio not a Bolt I'd still say since they both come standard with 2A 1A is almost certainly not enough, 1.3A might be on the cusp. I have numerous Tivos, the ones that use an AC adapter minimum I am using is 2A (standard), a couple others 3A (I upgraded drives in those to 8-12TB).

One more thing, kind of a question for HD experts. The "pending" sector errors, they might have been caused by the drive not having enough power to boot. But once they are marked the firmware might think the blocks were actually bad and remap them? So you'd end up with reallocated sectors even though they weren't actually bad, it was a power issue. I never like to see reallocated sectors on a drive, when I do time to consider replacement.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020