Solution: "Connect to TiVo service now" Terminates In S03

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hoosier_hoser, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hoosier_hoser

hoosier_hoser New Member

Dec 21, 2006
    I have a TiVo 3 HD. The software version is 11.0n.H1-01020648.

A short number of weeks after installing a new tuning adapter, the "Connect to TiVo service now" process began to fail, terminating with an S03 error. This failure occurred 100% of the time. The failure occurred on the "Loading Info" step of the "Connect to TiVo service now" process. The failure occurred before the "Loading Info" step reported a per cent complete.

I disconnected the tuning adapter by removing the USB cable connecting the tuning adapter with the TiVo. I then reran "Connect to TiVo service now" multiple times. Each time the "Loading Info" step failed with an S03 error. Each time the failure occurred at a higher per cent complete. Finally, the "Connect to TiVo service now" finished successfully.

This problem is clearly a bug in the TiVo software. The problem occurs in the "Loading Info" step of the "Connect to TiVo service now" process. TiVo analysts claim that S03 is associated with hardware, networking and service provider problems. Not true! In my case the S03 error occurs during step that loads downloaded schedule data into schedule files or a schedule data base. A software computing process generates the S03 error.

My opinion is that the root cause of this problem is some combination of the following:

· Tuning adapter

· Number of channels received

· The volume of data that has to be deleted and added to a new schedule

After the "Connect to TiVo service now" process ran to a successful completion, I reran the process with the tuning adapter connected. This rerun completed successfully.

Other posters have stated that running the "Clear program information & To Do List" will fix the S03 termination. I rejected this solution because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life repeatedly re-entering Season Pass and Wishlist data.

I have one question. Other posters have stated that they resolved the S03 problem by putting the tuning adapter on a light timer and shutting it down 4 hours each night. I don't see how the shutdown addresses the problem. Doesn't the tuning adapter have to be shut down when the "Connect to TiVo service now" process runs? I don't know of a way to schedule the "Connect to TiVo service now" process within the 4 hour window during which the tuning adapter is offline.

Right now disconnecting the tuning adapter is a work-around. The root cause is a software bug. I suppose asking TiVo to fix a bug in an old product is too much to ask, but fixing this bug is the right way to treat customers.

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yes it is and has been for S3 users since tuning adapters were first foisted on us.
    I share your pain, as my S3 has this error today after not having it for years.

The reason the S03 error occurs is the GC (garbage collection) routine does not complete.
    I believe this is due to insufficient resources at the hardware level... not enough RAM or cpu speed.
    The tuning adapter, I suspect, uses more of those scarce resources, causing a halt in normal TiVo housekeeping.

TiVo will not fix the bug. The closest I came was a couple years ago a TiVo engineer contacted me about the problem.
    We worked back and forth through PM. But eventually he went dark and the problem persists.

Put the tuning adapter on a timer to switch off the power for at least 3 hours daily.
    Otherwise as I have been doing for the last few years.
    Watch the GC line in sys info if it gets more than a day behind.
    Either disconnect the USB cable or power down the tuning adapter until the GC routine completes with the current day.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Clear Program Information & To Do List doesn't clear your Season Passes or Wishlists (just FYI).

Scott

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Also, had you thought about taking advantage of the several offers for a new Bolt over the last year and a half with a $99 lifetime/All-in transfer?

Scott

5. Loopz

Loopz New Member

Sep 14, 2017
    I recently had this error come up for us for the first time in 10 years. Read this forum and after the TA was unpluged for four hours all the programs channel data came back. I ran connect to tivo servie about 800 times over the last week. So guide now shows everything a week out. However now when I go hit search, all that comes up is a notice that says there is no program info.
    CG is current date.
    Connect to TIvo service ssuccessful, attempt is current date.
    Search function does not see anything and says you need to connect to the TIVO service?

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I was seeing the same problem with search function.
    After GC completed and indexing completed after a successful call home.
    Search results have returned on my 648250.

7. SAH3

SAH3 New Member

May 17, 2015
    I am getting the SO3 error on my 652160. It connects but fails at 1% of loading. The unit was unplugged for 2 months, so it has no guide data. I have a message at the bottom of the screen that says data will run out Sat Sept 22, but that is clearly wrong. It also states last successful connection was July 20.

I do not have a tuning adapter, so that suggestion doesn't apply. Any other thoughts on how to get around this? Everything else seems fine.

8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Disconnect TiVo from its network connection.
    Reboot TiVo: disconnect power cord for 30 seconds, then reconnect.
    Let TiVo chew away until GC date is current.
    Then force a service connection.

9. SAH3

SAH3 New Member

May 17, 2015
    Thanks, I just did this. However I checked the System Information both before and after the reboot, and noticed some differences in the dates and error codes. In particular the S03 error is gone but now just states failed for last service connection, and guide view cache status was "idle since 9-21" before reboot, but "awaiting first run since 9-21" after reboot.

Do you know if that indicates anything? There is absolutely no guide data at all.

upload_2018-9-21_22-42-9.png

10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Sorry I do not, the procedure above always works, for me.

11. klia

klia Member

Apr 12, 2005
    I recently started getting the S03 error with my TiVo HD (no tuning adapter), and just let it go, hoping it would sort itself out, but it never did. So, I tried the "Clear program information & To Do List" option, and still had the "Clearing program information & To Do List. This may take up to an hour" screen 13 hours later, so I figured the hard drive was toast and ordered a new one from Weaknees. Bah.

12. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Wa that the solution - a new drive?

13. klia

klia Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Yep. The TiVo HD software is still its glitchy self, but everything's been working fine with the new drive.

14. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    I left mine in for 24 hours, tried again, it failed, tried again, and it worked. 2 cents if you need it...

15. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Here's a big THANKS for the help in this thread. Both my S3s last connected successfully four days ago before displaying this error. Now working on the clear & delete ops before forcing a re-connect. Odd that they both failed at the same time though.

16. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    I’d hold off unless you don’t care about what’s on them. Amine took a roll-through midnight and then one manual re-attempt, and then all was well.

17. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My 652 sat for a few days unconnected (power supply died) after putting rebuilt supply in got the SO3 after connecting (knew I Would) so did clear to do list. Then connected successfully but while I could go 10 days in advance in guide under info screen said none for info to date, and when selecting something in guide only choices were record or don't no SP or other options, did restart and fixed it. I thought it would seems now you have to do the restart after such things.

18. Sbmocp

Sbmocp Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Both of mine appear to have recovered well, no damage. Took all night to re-load the program data though.

tvmaster2 likes this.