Solid State HDD

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Joe01880, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston

Advertisements

Can one use a solid state HDD in a Bolt?
    Are there advantages or disadvantages in doing so.
    If it can be done is it drop and run like a regular HDD up to 3TB and are there noticeable performance enhancements offsetting the extra cost involved?
    Thanks..

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

marcv likes this.
  2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Know that the software portion of the Bolt is stored in Flash memory - which of course is plenty fast. The recordings are on the spinning disks. You may see some overall responsiveness increases nevertheless. I can't speak from personal experience. Since I want more HDD space, I'll stick with lower cost HDDs

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Can you? Don’t see why not.

Performance improvement? Not at all. Besidea, what about the Bolt feels slow? The slowest thing I see is when the tuners change frequency, and there’s no SSD in the world that’s going to speed that up.

Putting an SSD in the Bolt is a colossal waste of money. Akin to putting a turbine engine on a golf cart.

dianebrat likes this.
  4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It should work from a technical standpoint, but is a bad idea from a design standpoint, as SSDs have limited write cycles (especially the consumer TLC ones) and TiVo writes 24/7. If you get enterprise SLC SSDs, that would be ok, but those are really prohibitively expensive for virtually zero gain.

Joe01880 likes this.
  5. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston

Advertisements

I don't know how a Bolt feels at all period!
    I do not own one but am considering getting one very soon. I do own a Roamio Pro, it seems plenty fast tho, is a Bolt significantly faster?
    Also, are all the bolts equal in the inside, processor, department or does the 6 tuner 3 TB model run faster than the 4 tuner 500 gig model?
    I am considering getting the 4 tuner 500 gig bolt and replacing the HDD even before it has called home for the first time, brand new out of the box and was just wondering if a SSD would work better than a standard HDD, from what I am reading here it doesn't seem it would be worth fooling with.
    I must admit my computer skills are not very advanced but I can and have swapped out a hard drive or 3 in my day. Reformatting a 6TB for a TiVo may be beyond my ability, yet I have never tried either..

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

6. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Haha! No, there’s nothing slow about the Bolt at all. It’s a speed demon compared to my Roamio Pro, which was no slouch itself.

I mean, I click on Netflix and it’s up in a second. Very impressive.

I’d stick with standard spinning rust. Putting an SSD in would just be a waste of dollars. Go get yourself one of the HDD’s recommended here and live happy.

Or, get the 6 tuned Bolt+ and you won’t have to do squat. You’ll also have 2 extra tuners to boot - with the money you save vs the SSD, go get some tivo mini’s for your other TVs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    For DVR functions they are comparable. For apps, Bolt is noticeably faster.

The white bolts are all the same. The Bolt+ I don't know for sure, but it is probably the same processor or newer revision of same processor, so differences (if any) would probably be minor. Memory is likely the same also.

I don't want to say for sure the components are the same because I haven't done a component list, but if there are differences they are not night and day differences because people have both Bolt and Bolt+ in the same household and are not saying, wow, the Bolt+ is so much faster.