Sold a used DirecTivo - need help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RandyL712, Oct 4, 2007.

1. RandyL712

RandyL712 New Member

May 10, 2002

Advertisements

Story is that I bought a used DirecTivo unit, ended up with Comcast digital cable (never used or activated the DirecTV at all) and I ended up selling the DirecTivo unit with the card it had when I bought it.

The new buyer is telling me that DirecTV is requiring the the owner call and cancel the service on that unit before he can do anything. They also won't send them a new card.

What do we do here? It's just not feasible to locate the original owner of the unit to call DirecTV. How do we proceed so that the new owner can use it?

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    There is pretty much nothing you can do except contact the original seller and tell the seller to remove it from there account. This is DirecTVs policy.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    This is why we encourage all buyers of used DirecTV equipment to contact DirecTV and verify its status. Reputable sellers will have no problems providing you with the Receiver ID Number so you can verify with DirecTV.

At this point your only option is to refund that purchaser's money.

4. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    BTW, this is to prevent the sale of stolen receivers.

5. RandyL712

RandyL712 New Member

May 10, 2002

Advertisements

I can certainly understand that. But a unit is literally a useless, worthless brick if the owner of record with DirecTV is unavailable or unknown? That's insane to me.

Do they possibly provide the owner's info so they can be contacted and asked to remove themselves. There's gotta be something that can be done?

6. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Insane but True, DirecTV can not give you the name of the previous owner so you are now the proud owner of a brick.

7. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    One would think in a case like this, Directv could attempt to contact the original owner via phone or e-mail, and if no contact with the owner, remove any hold on the unit in their system.

8. RandyL712

RandyL712 New Member

May 10, 2002
    Did a bit more research - the unit's previous owner (big shock here) has a balance on his account, so the customer service rep said that it's definitely at dead end.

I offered my buyer a full refund. As luck would have it, (I didn't even realize it when shipping), he's local so I won't incur extra shipping costs! Finally some GOOD news in this story.