Software Updates?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by timstack8969, Apr 28, 2011.

1. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    Will we see anymore software updates for the Priemiere?

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Your guess is as good as anyone else's. They recently sent out a survey asking people if finishing the DVR was a priority. d'oh!

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    With almost 5 months since anything new was widely released and the Premiere still desperately buggy and unfinished, I would hope so. I've taken to asking @tivodesign this on twitter every week or two now. The only response I ever received (once only) was "It will get better", which wasn't very great.

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    From the TiVo iPad app thread, in the latest update they do reference an update to the TiVo DVRs will address a network connectivity issue. Of course it doesn't say when we will see the update, but the iPad app just updated yesterday.

5. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I would IMAGINE there will be more updates! Even if they don't finish the HD GUI, there are still performance issues and bugs that NEED to be dealt with. What the updates will contain and when they'll actually come though is anybody's guess.

6. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    Hulu Plus is supposed to come some day as well. That still has me hopeful for an update, but, I have just learned to accept the unfinished HDUI for what it is. I still appreciate my TiVo, but I can tell the honeymoon period is over...

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    My guess is an outside group develops the iPad app. I doubt it being updated has much significance on the TiVo OS for the Premiere.

8. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I don't disagree with you.

I don't think it does either. It was more interesting to note they do reference a future update to the TiVo will address one of the issues.

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I've been mulling this one over since seeing that reference and don't quite know what to make of it or how seriously to take it - what are your thoughts? Just vague statements Tivo made to the design team, do you think? That would especially make sense if an outside team were developing it. (I don't know, just going off what's been said in this thread)

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    oops

11. THE Frozo

THE Frozo New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    And I made sure to let them know that fixing existing broken features should be higher on their priority than worrying about new features for future unit. I was extremely pissed at that survey.

12. jmccorm

jmccorm Special Forum Guest

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Good timing on this topic.

I decided to revisit this forum today to see if TiVo was EVER going to fix any of the Premier bugs I keep bumping into. I was a big TiVo fan in their early days and I recommended them to so many people.

Today, as a Premier owner, I actively recommend people NOT to buy a TiVo and to stick with their cable company's DVR. TiVo has a bad product. Dialing down the price and selling more units only makes the chorus of negative evangelists even larger.

FIX. YOUR. CORE. COMPETENCY.

13. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I will not be recommending any one to buy a Tivo also. They are working on the ipad,ipod. iphone what ever instead of getting the HDUI to work better and faster. I'll go with the moxie or cable company dvr. Right now i consider the premiere junk compared to the new Motorola dvrs and Moxie.

14. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Hopefully this $300 million they're about to get from Tivo should help!

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If they were worried about their "core competency" they would eliminate the HDUI and just provide what we refer to as the SDUI. Instead what they have worried about was the flashy new paint job some people seemed to be demanding and that we refer to as their HDUI. Even if it worked perfectly it does nothing to make Premiere function "better" and the only extra feature that I find useful/interesting is the usage meter which surely could have been added to the SDUI.

Thanks,

16. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The only people I recommend a TiVo to are those that are OTA only. This started with the Original Series 3. To me cable cards have always added to much cost and complexity, I am glade many people continued to deal with it but I would not.

Regarding the Premiere being junk - feel free to send yours to me. Mine works just fine. It is an excellent OTA DVR, downloads lots of the web stuff I want, and streams Pandora better/easier than the other devices I have with Pandora on them. Would it be nice if it had access to more web stuff - sure but that has nothing to do with how well it functions.

Thanks,

17. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I've stopped recommending it as well. I was good for at least 5-10 TiVo sales/yr from references I made. That's done until I have better feelings about where this train wreck is headed.

I strongly recommend that you keep asking for updates on the update or fixes to the HDUI on TiVo's user experience twitter @tivodesign .

18. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Did they ever activate the second care?

19. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I told this to the rep on chat today about the HDUI.
    If I get pissed off bad enough I'll take a sledge hammer to it and send it back to tivo.

20. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I am guessing you can tell from my other posts what I think about the HDUI. TiVo should have never developed it and should have focused their $$s on improving existing features and adding new features.

I am guessing for the money they spent on the HDUI they could have rewritten and improved the Netflix app, updated the functionality of the existing SDUI (added things like streaming tivo to tivo and tivo to DNLA servers, etc) , added access to Hulu + and had money left over.

I didn't actually find the performance of the HDUI "bad" unless my Internet access dropped but I also found no advantage over the SDUI. But given all the issues other people seem to be having I have to concluded the HDUI was a big mistake.

Thanks,